• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A no start

eagle1

Hello, I just got an MEP-002A reset to tier 2 in 2006 with 8 hours, I looked it over good and found the fuel tank full of crud and the injector lines off at the injector pump, I disconnected the fuel lines from the tank and put them in a bucket with fresh fuel, I cleaned the horrible crud from the bottom of the fuel pumps, I ran new temporary fuel line from the pumps to a temporary spin on fuel filter and then to the injection pump, I ran the pumps until a clean stream of fuel ran out with no bubbles and then connected it to the injection pump, I then ran the pumps until clean fuel came out of the return line and then another 15 minutes to be sure, I pulled the center plug on the injection pump and the plunger was stuck, I tapped it and it freed up and began to move in and out while rotating the engine, I did notice the delivery valve plunger is picky about how you clock it when putting in what ever you call the cap that covers the plunger, the delivery valve rotates freely 360° when completely seated in its holder but if you pull it out slightly it won't rotate and binds up, not sure if this a problem or not, I put everything back together and cranked it with the injector lines off the pump and did not get any fuel from the injection pump after several cranking cycles, I checked and the shutoff solenoid above the oil filter is rising and I even pushed it to the maximum travel to make sure while cranking, I took the cap back off the pump and checked and the plunger is still cycling in and out when the engine is rotated by hand, put it back together and still no fuel from the injection pump. I read until I fell asleep at 4am this morning and couldn't find a similar explanation. Thanks

Chainbreaker

Are you still drawing fuel from a bucket or from the fuel tank? If drawing from the fuel tank, have you removed the check valve located just below the oil pressure gauge between the 2 fuel lines and cleaned it in solvent? TIP: I've found that acetone works great for cleaning old diesel scum/crud off parts.

Also, have you downloaded the MEP-002a Technical Manuals located on this site?

eagle1

Are you still drawing fuel from a bucket or from the fuel tank? If drawing from the fuel tank, have you removed the check valve located just below the oil pressure gauge between the 2 fuel lines and cleaned it in solvent? TIP: I've found that acetone works great for cleaning old diesel scum/crud off parts.

Also, have you downloaded the MEP-002a Technical Manuals located on this site?
Still drawing from fuel from a temporary bucket until I get around to cleaning the fuel tank, I took the injection pump apart and discovered 2 broken parts, plunger guide and the plunger pin that goes into the control unit, what I call the throttle shaft when working on a Cummins. I will get the parts orders and hopefully get it running. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks