• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A or MEP-003A

tdfontaine

How do I tell the difference between 002 and 003? From what I can tell, all 002s have one exhaust port and 003 have two exhaust ports. I purchased what I thought was a 002 but now noticing the pics have two exhaust ports which seems like it's really an 003.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Crawdaddy

According to the pics if they are accurate, that is a MEP-003 10Kw generator. The 002s do have 1 exhaust versus 003s that have 2. The 002 is a 2 cylinder, and the 003 is a 4 cylinder that's essentially the exact same thing as a 002 plus 2 cylinders.

Keith_J

And quite a few more than labeled. They can run all day at their rated output, no big box store generator can do that. You can safely turn 15 kW loads for a bit. If temperatures are mild, even longer.

One horsepower is about 748 Watts. So a 10k generator is producing about 13.4 horsepower of electricity. The electrical part is about 95% efficient and the fans pull about 2 horsepower off the engine. So you have a 140 cubic inch diesel that is producing about 16 Hp at 1800 RPM. That is a very light load, especially on a diesel.

The old gasoline engine 10kW generators used an 84 cubic inch 4 cylinder that was rated for 20 Hp at 3600 RPM. Of course they were about 800 pounds lighter and had nowhere near the frequency stability. Nor the automatic field flashing, ease of oil change...

tdfontaine

Thanks for all the info. I picked up the units today and they are 003s. Haven't tried to start them yet but will in the next week or so. They are both low hour units (100 hours and 300 hours) and look pretty decent so I think it was a decent purchase. Got them both for $500 :)

dutchboypower

Mep-005a gen-set

Hello gentlemen,

New to the site. Very nice.

I just bought a Gen-set from GOVLiq.
Excellent shape, sweet unit.

Does anyone have info on what oil to use and the cooling system fluid
I was planning to use the same oil as my dodge diesel.

Also can I swith the Mil spec plugs at the breakerbox to single phase output.

Going to live of the grit with my wife in the desert in Arizona, so I will be using it to power my 5th wheel camper and as backup to the solarpanels.

Thanks for your help.:)

steelandcanvas

That genset in your avatar Sir, is way too large for your intended application. Is that the unit you purchased from GovLiq? If so, here is the definition of the problem you will encounter:

Wet stacking is a condition in diesel engines in which not all the fuel is burned and passes on into the exhaust side of the turbocharger and on into the exhaust system. The word "stacking" comes from the term "stack" for exhaust pipe or chimney stack. The oily exhaust pipe is therefore a "wet stack".
Indiesel generators, it is usually because the diesel engine is running at only a small percentage of its capacity.
It is detectable when there is a black ooze around exhaust pipe connections and around the turbocharger. Continuous black exhaust from the stack when under a constant load is also an indication that all the fuel is not being burned.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Yes, the MEP-004A is too large and 3-phase only. While you could rewire for single phase but at 1 gallon per hour and current diesel price, you will be better served by something in the 5-10 kW range. Plus they have reconnection switches for 120 and 120/240 connection.

It is always best to use the stock load terminals, even if you just make a pigtail for a NEMA locking receptacle. The stock load terminals are elegant over-kill, allowing multiple circuits

Stalwart

After MUCH consideration and a realistic look at my power needs I chose the 003A. I had to resist the "bigger is better" mantra that I tend to follow, in Diesel generators it is NOT the case. Not only will a larger capacity cost you more in fuel (YES, even when it is running a lower output) but the above mentioned wet stacking is a REAL concern. You can change the oil more often but you WILL have premature wear on the cylinder walls due the unburnt Diesel washing the oil film off the cylinders. In real terms, you want to be using 50-80% of the output power at all times.

What I did was look at all the critical items I must run, even understanding that most of those cycle on and off over time. Over and above those items, I didn't allow much headroom for lighting as I can live with less of that if my basic heating, refrigeration and cooking needs were met. For me it was easier than most as my 60" cooking range is a pure gas unit, with power only needed for ignition and thermostatic control (yes, even my oven and broilers are gas fired).

I was ready to pull the trigger on the 003A when my wife raised a concern of her own, noise. Perhaps unlike most here, I wasn't going to be able to place the generator far enough away from the living area, that even an enclosure/sound-attenuation kit could overcome. If I had more property an MEP-003A would have been the IDEAL generator for me, but in the end, I ended up with a very low hour commercial Diesel unit for 3 times the price. :cry:

When I can move away from all these silly Microshaftees (I live in the midst of the source of all your computer woes), into a more open and rural surrounding, a 003A would be the cats meow. 2cents

Fully lighting up the house like a proverbial Christmas tree during a power outage may seem like fun (yes, it's fun to rub your neighbors noses in it), but it is counter productive as they may want to share some of your good planning, and you still have to feed the little beast. My generator has a 58 gallon capacity (17 for the generator and 41 for the trailer) that gives a maximum run time of 48 hours at 3/4 load, and when we lose power, it is often for a week or more. That is a LOT of fuel and several refills even if I only run the generator 16 hours a day. I'd better keep the HEMTT fuel tank full so I can steal from it's ample 155 gallon tank.

I do have to say that hearing my current generator from even 10' away seems a bit TOO muted, I am a engine lover after all. That said, I might not feel the same way at 3AM with the wife telling me she doesn't consider an 1800 rpm Diesel music to her ears, like it might be to mine. We do have to keep the "better-half's" happy too. fat lady sings

dutchboypower

Thank you all for your input.

I am sure I went to big. But my power needs will be high.
Workshop welders and so on.

Plus horses and corrals for nighttime roundups. So many flood lights.

I am charging up the batteries as we speak. Put new fluids in and filled the Fuel filters.
Maybe sometime today she will run. Will find out dB level should be around 70 at 8 feet away I believe.:)

Keith_J

You can run a 300 ampere welder off a 10 kW generator. I can easily run my 200 ampere TIG welder off my 5 kW.

If you want to live off the grid efficiently, inverters for base load, generator to supply the main loads. If your average power bill is $150 and your charge per kW-hour is $0.12, that could be supplied by a 2 kW generator. Now that generator would never turn anything more than a toaster so that is why you need something in the 10 kW range.

But if you had a inverter of sufficient capacity plus a bank of batteries to drop the duty cycle of the generator to 20% (on for two hours every 10 hours), the gain in efficiency will offset the cost of the system.

Stalwart

Welders are current hogs, no doubt! Since I don't have three phase available, when I don't need the generator power my house, 99% of the time, it will provide my 3 phase needs. I only need to power a CNC mill and a few other possible items once in a while. Since my shop is for my personal pleasure, I only need to power one machine at a time. My 22KW Whisperwatt should easily handle a 25hp motor (theoretically a 29 hp) so it's 34hp Diesel won't be overtaxed by a 15hp mill and it's supporing motors and electronics.

You have to be careful about sound pressure ratings, they are seldom measured in the same manner, unless you are speaking purely commercial applications and to a defined set of standards. Most if not all of the commercial units are rated in dB(A) at 23 feet, that "A" meaning weighted for frequencies that most effect our ears. Even with the best military enclosure, they aren't likely to come close to the civy units, that is unless you are talking the newest and the best Mil units that are being put new into service today. I don't care what enclosure is used, an old 6 cylinder White is NEVER going to make 70 dB(A) at even at 23 feet. Will it live nearly FOREVER at full rated power? You bet! Properly loaded and taken care of, I'd guess that White would easily run beyond the common 20,000 hours I've seen on the Isuzu Diesels like in mine. That is 20,000 hours still running clean and with minimal oil use. The White by it's design and age will always burn more oil and fuel, but the simplicity and reliability, not to mention initial cost, would far outweigh that, at least to my demented thinking.

dutchboypower

Thanks Stalwart,

I see you have what I am planning to get. I believe to much can never be bad. If I run at 30% of rating I should be able to avoid the wet stacking. The price was right and condition warranted the purchase.

We will be living fairly deep n the desert no one around for 12 miles either direction. My wife likes diesels, lucky me:)

IF worst comes I need to rent a load bank once in awhile to burn of the exhaust.
First I need to get the beast running. One battery is almost charged onto the second one.

Cheers,

Stalwart

Living in your area with neigbors so far away, even a gas turbine genset would't be bad (feeding it fuel would be). The bad part would be purchasing the large cables to get power to the house and shop if you had Detroit, or like powered one. If you had one behind a small berm 200' from the house, NO ONE would care in the slightest with even the noisiest of generators.

IMAO, if you could keep 30% load at all times (I don't count 10-20 minutes, with little or no load here and there) you should be able to keep just about any Diesel happy. I'd make sure that you had a good working thermostat that allows the engine to operate at 180-200 degrees. HEAT is a Diesel engine's friend, and the wet stacking is really about the creation of insufficient heat to allow for complete combustion. Some people think that a Diesel is primarily cooled by the cooling system, and at very high power levels, this is MOSTLY true. At low power levels, Diesels are largely cooled by the incoming air charge. Is 180-200 going to prevent wet stacking? Heck no, but it will lower the minimum load threshhold that it will occur. 2cents

dutchboypower

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the info. She runs, boy she sounds great. Followed starting instructions on the door, instant start.
Temp is about 180 degrees with the louvers closed. Oil pressure about 58-60 PSI

I am 50 but feel like a kid with a new toy HA.:)

All I have to figure out is the L1 L2 L3 GRD connections. Which combinations gives me the desired volts.

Cheers, George :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks