• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a Problem

kymedic4296p

Hello folks! I am desperate for help with my gen set. I have never had a problem with this unit until i really needed it this evening. when i connected the batteries there was absolutely no dc voltage. just a little background on how i have this unit setup. i have it connected directly to the main wires under the main breaker to my shop, therefore it it always electrified from the pole.I do not have it ran into a breaker. I was in a hurry to get it hooked up originally and haven't had a chance to hook it up correctly. anyway,When i want to run the genset i kick the breaker off. Have i done something to the genset? I apologize for my ignorance.. i am new to military equipment. :-?

derf

You need to stop immediately and get some professional help before someone gets hurt.

Generator power and power company power do not mix.

Have an electrician come out and disconnect whatever isn't right and make recommendations on the proper way to install a generator.

Ken_86gt

Well, the way you connected it does not have anything to do with the DC power. I would start troubleshooting the DC power issue, maybe the batteries are dead?

kymedic4296p

derf, i do understand that i have it hooked up wrong, however that is not the issue. when i use the unit i shut the breaker off to keep from back feeding into the grid.

kymedic4296p

Ken_86gt thank you for the reply.. i know nothing about these units.. if you could offer more advice about testing .. i would greatly appreciate it. the batteries are at full charge. the unit has no dc power at all. Thanks again.

amolaver

it sounds like you might be confused about AC vs DC power. how can the batteries be 'at full charge' and 'the unit has no dc power' - they sound at odds with each other. the batteries are DC storage devices. the generator outputs AC (house power). what and how are you measuring when you say, 'the unit has no dc power at all'?

if you put a voltmeter on each battery separately, what do they read? with the batts installed, if you put a voltmeter on the positive and negative terminals connected to the gen (across both batts), what does it read? does the generator crank when you try and start it? does it run?

not sure about on the 002, but on the 003 there is a DC circuit breaker that functions as an emergency stop switch - turned off, it stops the fuel pumps, so motor stops. could you have a similar breaker that is switched off?

ahm

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd start by checking the DC circuit breaker or a loose cannon plug between the batteries and control box.

John

kymedic4296p

i do understand the difference between ac and dc. that is why i am so confused. when i hook the batteries up, i don't have any dc power to turn on the panel light, or even preheat/prime/start. It has no power.i have checked the emergency dc breaker. the batts read 24v.

wkc

Ken_86gt

Time to follow the wires and measure voltage, or look at the schematic in the TM and start troubleshooting. Is there voltage on both sides of the DC breaker?

kymedic4296p

i haven't checked the voltage anywhere in the control box because i don't have any of the manuals for this unit. i will check and reply. thanks

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way I understand your first post you have a hot neutral and a hot ground, so the first thing is to increase your liability insurance to at least 10 million dollars. In a power outage, if a lineman gets hurt or killed working on a hot neutral from your generator, you will wish you had never ever seen a generator, much less owned one or ran it. And, when the courts get finished with you, you won't ever own anything again.:rant:

amolaver

simple test is continuity across the DC breaker. when you say you 'checked' the DC breaker, what do you mean? did you put a continuity or ohm meter across the terminals while open and closed?

if none of the DC side works - no panel light, pumps don't run, it seems likely either a) the DC breaker is bad, or b) does the DC breaker directly interrupt all DC current flow, or is it piped through a relay? in which case it could be a bad relay...

ahm

derf

What you described above is not just less than ideal. It is potentially dangerous and illegal.
Get that panel feed done properly before someone gets hurt or damage occurs to the generator or the panel.

Once you have the output properly wired or disconnected from the panel use the TMs to troubleshoot. You should have 24V feeding the DC control circuit breaker. Also, check the ground cable.

kymedic4296p

i just disconnected it from my breaker box to the shop. so no one is gonna get killed!!!!!! thanks for the posts. I have the problem resolved and fixed. Ken_86gt thank you for being non judgemental and trying to help. thanks again. oh yes it was the breaker. thanks again for the help

wkc

Ken_86gt

[FONT=&quot]Just do a google search for the TMs. They are available on this site as well as others and should be considered a "got a have" document.
[/FONT]

derf

We have to err on the side of caution. I realize that if either the panel breaker was in the on position or the generator output was in the on position it could work. However, if both were on at the same time it would mean generator disaster. We don't know your skill level and or common sense threshold. So, we can only recommend you "make it right". Anything less would be remiss on our part. This is only the internet but safety is paramount.
Be safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks