• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A quit generating under full load. Where to start

rustystud

The biggest changes are done to the reconnection box. So since I will be converting my MEP-003A next I'll start taking pictures and posting comments along the way.

CrzyDave

From a mouse nest to a rat's nest. :-D
Haha. But it works now. I plan to clean it up, but the focus was on getting a backup genset going. The electric company finally fixed my underground short and the hurricane missed us, so I probably won't need it for awhile.

Hope you didn't get flooded out down there Jim.

Dave

rustystud

013.jpg014.jpg I started the modification on my other MEP-002A today. As I was tearing out all the junk from the reconnection box I came across the real problem that caused my generator to fail last year. I had used this generator for several years with no problems. It just failed during a major outage. I thought it was the CVT-1 as I tested it and it was bad, but after I got all the stuff out today I found the cable from the circuit breaker to terminal L-3 had made contact with the box and shorted out causing a small fire inside. This caused my CVT-1 and other components to fail. This area is a bad design flaw as the box has a shelf there that the cable can come into contact with very easily. It is also very hard to see as the reconnection switch is in the way.
So I would warn everyone who is using there MEP-002A and MEP-003A generators to check there L-3 cable to make sure it is free from contacting any metal from the box.

Last edited:

rustystud

032.jpg Here's another picture showing the area that contact was made. It is a poor design, as the cable has to pass the dog-leg of a shelf to reach the upper terminals. In my other units the cable was longer and they put a half circle in the cable to avoid this area. In this unit all the wires and cables where just "long enough" to do the job.

Last edited:

dangier

Checked out my 002/003 connections that Rusty pointed out. In hard to get to (much less see), location. But if one pulls the top re-connection box cover (the one with the hinge and short piece over the terminals), you can see the wire and stud that could short from the top easily to see how close you are to a meltdown.

dangier

View attachment 586864View attachment 586865 I started the modification on my other MEP-002A today. As I was tearing out all the junk from the reconnection box I came across the real problem that caused my generator to fail last year. I had used this generator for several years with no problems. It just failed during a major outage. I thought it was the CVT-1 as I tested it and it was bad, but after I got all the stuff out today I found the cable from the circuit breaker to terminal L-3 had made contact with the box and shorted out causing a small fire inside. This caused my CVT-1 and other components to fail. This area is a bad design flaw as the box has a shelf there that the cable can come into contact with very easily. It is also very hard to see as the reconnection switch is in the way.
So I would warn everyone who is using there MEP-002A and MEP-003A generators to check there L-3 cable to make sure it is free from contacting any metal from the box.
Took Rusty's input and had checked my 4 MEP 002 and 003's for the direct short from L-3 cable to steel cabinet a couple of weeks ago and all were good. Got a chance to look at the 002 that I sold to a neighbor today. Guess what? The L-3 cable terminal was loose and rubbing on the steel cabinet. Just the yellow plastic collar on the lug was between the wire and the ground. Just a matter of time and the magic smoke would be let out. Many thanks Rusty for the follow-up and then spreading the word!
David

PS: Anyone else out there that has not looked into the above?? You might save yourself some trouble and money!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks