• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002a running but getting no power

Faw

I have been using in the generator for a while (6 months without power sucks. Stupid hurricane). Anyway 2 days ago it stopped generating power. Hertz 0 voltage 0. I have one of those chinese generators and I'm using it at the moment but I dont trust it so want to try and fix the 002a.

So which manual should i be looking at? There are a few maintenance manuals (operator organizational, general support depot, etc). Are there some simple tests or checks to isolate the problem without needing a professional?

One more question. I read here that running the generator idle was bad. I thought idle meant nothing connected to it instead it seems running below 1800rpm, right? How do I know if it's idle or not?

Thanks in advance.

robertsears1

You should set the throttle and never touch it. You will damage these type of generators by running them at low or idle rpm. Then there is wet stacking. That may happen by running it without a load for a long time. It is good to run generators at high load periodically and get it good and warm to burn out residue that can build up over time while running it lightly loaded. Hope you get your power back soon.
Robert

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before we go any further - Do you have a VOM (Volt-ohm meter) and do you feel comfortable using it?

Since you have an electrical output problem you will need to be familiar with using a VOM and be able to work safely around electrical systems.

If you don't feel comfortable with this please ask for help locally from a technician or electrician.

I'm not being a jerk here. Working on these things safely is serious business.

Can you give us more information about when it stopped generating power? Was it in operation at the time? If so did you notice any flickering of lights or anything? Did it just stop making power like turning off a switch? Or did it make power fine until you turned it off and restarted?

Faw

The generator was running. I run the generatot only at night. I was sleeping when it failed but since I have one of those apnea machines I noticed immediately. It just turned off as if the breaker was turned off. The breaker was still in the on position.

I'm not an expert but I'm comfortable with multimeters/electricity as long as it is something simple (check continuity/voltage/etc). Reading/understanding those electric diagrams I've never tried it.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tested at the lugs for power? How about changing the voltage reconnection switch... does that change power at the lugs?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The generator was running. I run the generatot only at night. I was sleeping when it failed but since I have one of those apnea machines I noticed immediately. It just turned off as if the breaker was turned off. The breaker was still in the on position.

I'm not an expert but I'm comfortable with multimeters/electricity as long as it is something simple (check continuity/voltage/etc). Reading/understanding those electric diagrams I've never tried it.
Thanks for the feedback. So if you lost power and the breaker at the generator was still on its pretty safe to conclude that the generator stopped making power.

The first thing to do is to take a VOM and check for power at the convenience outlet with the generator running. This bypasses a lot of stuff that can take you out so start there.

One thing to also check is to see if you register voltage on the meter with the generator running AND while holding the main switch in the START position. When you release the switch doe you loose power?

Faw

I had already checked that with the multimeter. No power on l1 l3 or on outlets. Gauge for hz + volt worked when generating power now says zero.

Holding the main switch in start position while running? Wont that mess up the starter like with cars?

jamawieb

I had already checked that with the multimeter. No power on l1 l3 or on outlets. Gauge for hz + volt worked when generating power now says zero.

Holding the main switch in start position while running? Wont that mess up the starter like with cars?
No it has a starter lockout so when it gets up to around 1000 rpms it disengages the starter and can't be engaged again.

Faw

Ok. Checked the outlets again they give me 0,26v (autosensing voltmeter) nothing changes when setting the main switch to start.

jamawieb

Look at the voltage regulator and the wires hooked to it. Take number 17 off and wrap it up with tape and restart. See if it doesn't generate power? Make sure its not hooked to anything because it should be making 130-140 volts at the outlets.

Faw

Ok I'll try that tomorrow morning. Is getting dark and like I mentioned I have no power and dont want to push the other generator more than I have to.

Triple Jim

OK, so the regulator is not making excessive output, which would stop exciter current output from CVT1.

Did you try the "start" position when the generator was running to see if the flashing current gets the generator producing output?

Faw

Yes tried that yesterday. Started, connected multimeter to outlets got 0.26v. Moved switch to start while running got the same 0.26v.

Guyfang

Staff member
Start at the start.

Check the S1 switch, at pin 27. Hold your multi meter on pin 27, and see if you get any DC voltage, with S1 in the START position. That is the wire that excites the gen set. 0.26 volts sounds to me like what you would get simply from inductance, of the exciter rotor spinning along.

jamawieb

Multi meter with the red wire to pin 27 and the black to any ground (there's a ground wire in the back to the left).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks