• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002a running problems

hampton83

Hello, I was hoping you all could help me. I have recently purchased an MEP 002a. It was running fine, then started to run for about 30 minutes and then it would shut off, and during the time it ran it's power would run down. I thought it was maybe an overheating issue and the oil pressure switch was bad, which I have found is possibly a common problem. So I took it to a mechanic who works on diesel equipment and had him look at it, and he noticed a few things that needed to be fixed. One thing was adjusting the valve clearance, and the batteries were not charging. Realized part of the heating problem could have been the valves too loose and created a lot of friction. We blew out the oil cooler, which had a lot of soot, and the air filter was dirty. Also put in new glow plugs--intake and manifold--bought a new oil pressure switch which has not come in yet, put in a new stator and rotor, still no charge. Noticed the capacitor, one of the lead rotors have corroded off the capacitor, could that be a problem with charging?

So, I got the generator back. It starts a little easier and is a lot quieter than when I first got it, but the engine stop solenoid keeps tapping on the governor and making the throttle and makes the hertz continuously jump up and down. It only does this when it is under load, but not when it is just idling. It is also throwing the breaker on the generator with any load.

If you have any help, I need it ASAP. Thank you

Keith_J

Battery charge system has a fuse near the oil filter, tube type. If this isn't blown, the regulator is probably at fault. These have a motorcycle type alternator driven off permanent magnets on the blower wheel. The regulator can be found online but it is expensive.

There is a thermal motor on the exhaust air shutters as well as a high temperature cutoff switch, both may be related. Check the plug connecting the switch to the wiring harness, corrosion can cause your shutoff solenoid intermittent issue.

The main breaker tripping is probably an adjustment issue. There is a thread on this started by member Sewerzuk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks