• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002a runs rough, need advice

Tpoole

350 hours runs rough like the high pressure pump is out of time. It's perfect, pulled the flywheel to verify time is correct there. Brand new injectors and pump rebuild. It's hunts almost like the governor is not working but verified everything looks to be just fine with the balls and in that governor system.

I'm at 370 psi compression, head was completely redone and it's not the rings, I'm absolutely lost by what to do next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray70

Is it a bit difficult to start, and do the valve covers get abnormally hot fairly quickly?
If so your injection pump may be 180* out of time.

The video would be invaluable to help troubleshoot....
Surprisingly Guy didn't ask you, so I will.... Is this set new to you and have you ever seen it running correctly?
Also, did you rebuild the injection pump or someone else? and is it the original pump that has been rebuilt or did you purchase a rebuilt pump from someone else? Reason I ask is to know if you have the correct timing button installed in the pump and if the pump was removed and reinstalled in the correct position per the TM instructions.

Tpoole

So everything is original, the pump and everything has been rebuilt and timed correctly, it's apart or I would post a video.
The biggest concern is 2xx hours it's compression is only 3xx not even up to 400, I did find some oil shooting through the air filter for some reason. The head was rebuilt by a very reputable machine shop so I wouldn't think that's the issue, compression went up 25psi after head work.

Ray70

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the compression just yet. if you have 370 in both cylinders and it starts up ok without continued smoking after startup, then something else is causing your issue.
If it's hunting and or drooping excessively and can't correct it with adjustment there may be a mechanical problem with the governor such as a bent arm or linkage rubbing on the hole in the sheet metal above the IP.
I'd start by getting it reassembled so you can make a video and also do some additional leak down tests if desired.
Assuming the motor is currently at the PC timing mark on #1 compression, take a picture of the cam lobes on the right side of the IP opening in the block.
I can tell you if you are in the correct location to reinstall the pump.

Also, with regards to IP timing, can you elaborate on what you meant by you pulled the flywheel to check the timing?
There is nothing under the flywheel used to check IP timing, so I may be misunderstanding.
Did you mean you pulled the blower wheel and timing gear cover to check cam timing?

Tpoole

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the compression just yet. if you have 370 in both cylinders and it starts up ok without continued smoking after startup, then something else is causing your issue.
If it's hunting and or drooping excessively and can't correct it with adjustment there may be a mechanical problem with the governor such as a bent arm or linkage rubbing on the hole in the sheet metal above the IP.
I'd start by getting it reassembled so you can make a video and also do some additional leak down tests if desired.
Assuming the motor is currently at the PC timing mark on #1 compression, take a picture of the cam lobes on the right side of the IP opening in the block.
I can tell you if you are in the correct location to reinstall the pump.

Also, with regards to IP timing, can you elaborate on what you meant by you pulled the flywheel to check the timing?
There is nothing under the flywheel used to check IP timing, so I may be misunderstanding.
Did you mean you pulled the blower wheel and timing gear cover to check cam timing?
First thank you for your help!
I took apart the governor mechanism thinking the engine may have been a tooth out of time and to check the balls in the governor mechanism.
I am so confused at this compression being so low, with dropping oil before the test it didn't change anything, maybe the rings are stuck? Soaking it with a solvent mixture overnight to see.
Where is the best place to get gaskets? Need new ones to get it back together

Tpoole

First thank you for your help!
I took apart the governor mechanism thinking the engine may have been a tooth out of time and to check the balls in the governor mechanism.
I am so confused at this compression being so low, with dropping oil before the test it didn't change anything, maybe the rings are stuck? Soaking it with a solvent mixture overnight to see.
Where is the best place to get gaskets? Need new ones to get it back together
Also, followed the pump timing procedure perfectly (was 180 out first try) making sure it was correct

Chainbreaker

...Where is the best place to get gaskets? Need new ones to get it back together
Which gaskets are you needing? Use to be a lot listed on eBay, not so much anymore. When searching remember that the -002a & -003a models share many common gaskets... Cylinder Head, Valve Covers, IJ Pump, etc. If no luck on eBay put in a "Parts Wanted" list here in the SS Classified section.

Edit: Also, if you search the Internet using "Onan" you can find some of them that way. There are some models of the Diesel Onan air cooled generators that use many of the same gaskets depending on the engine. Off the top of my head, I can't recall the exact Onan Generator models that used some of the same gaskets... it "might" have been the "DJB" Onan Generator series... You can find a viewing copy of the Onan Air Cooled Engine repair manual here that might help with sourcing common parts.

Last edited:

Ray70

In addition, you can buy most of the gaskets directly from Cummins and the prices are often cheaper than other on-line places.
For instance if you google MEP-002a head gasket you will find a place selling them for $99, but if you go to Cummins it is $15.
If you can't find something specific let us know.
A few of us have parts stashed away here and there.... if we don't have it, we can surely find where to get it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks