• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a service near Knoxville, TN

Paul Lohr

Is there anyone qualified in the Knoxville, TN area who I could hire to do a generator service and startup? It is an MEP-002a with ASK. It has been sitting for several years. I understand that starting it without inspecting and possibly servicing certain items can lead to wreckage. The generator is not mine yet so I’d have to work out the details with the owner. I am trying to purchase the generator.
Thank you for any help.

Chainbreaker

Are you wanting to have a pre-purchase inspection done or are you willing to buy it at a discounted price not knowing if it will run & produce proper electrical power and then have it serviced?

Do you know how many hours are on the Hobbs meter and the year of mfg displayed on the control box side placard?

When was the last time it was run successfully according to the current owner?

Has it been sitting outside or inside? Critters can do a lot of damage in areas like within the "AC reconnection box", or to any exposed wiring harness areas & build nests with mouse urine that cause corrosion or inhibit cooling of engine around cylinders or cooling shroud areas.

Unless you really need the sound deadening aspect, the ASK kit can make it a pain to work on the unit.

Paul Lohr

Those are good questions, thank you for bringing them up. This is helpful guidance.

To answer the first question - so far the owner hasn't been willing to sell it 'as is'. I've tried that approach. I would also try to go the route of the pre-purchase inspection along with any service that's needed to get it going.

It has been sitting outside.

I don't know the number of hours on the meter.

I don't know more specifically when it was last started. I think he said 'it has been a few years'.

I've heard about the service issues with the ASK (Acoustic Suppression Kit) in place. Building a sound deadening and watertight enclosure has been a thought towards removing the ASK. Of course adequate airflow / heat release would have to be maintained. I would prefer to have the generator that we end up with inside some type of enclosure. So maybe the ASK could be removed eventually. Good point.

I will talk with the owner again and maybe I can get more of those questions answered. He has been very good to work with.

Thank you for helping me to think this through.

Ray70

If the machine has been sitting for over a year without being run ( especially with today's poor quality fuel in it ) there is a very good chance the injection pump is gummed up. Attempting to turn the motor over ( as you apparently already know ) without first ensuring the IP isn't stuck, will cause damage to the IP and plunger guide.
If the machine has the older style American Bosch IP, this damage is catastrophic to the IP and can not be fixed by any means other than replacing the IP which are almost impossible to find these days.
If you have an Ambac M50 pump you would need to remove and rebuild the damaged pump, and change the broken plunger guide.

Absolutely do not let the seller ( or yourself ) attempt to turn the engine without at least checking the IP.
Info on how to do so is in one of the stickies at the top of this section, or I can guide you.

Chainbreaker

Ray is 100% right! Even if you were to locate a "qualified generator service person" unless he is very familiar with the MEP-002/-003a he could damage it by servicing and then attempting to start the unit not knowing the intricacies of these particular units...specifically as related to the injection pump. The injection pump requires testing of the "plunger guide" for movement before ever attempting to use the starter. Ray mentions the procedure and it has to be followed 100%.

Also, the fuel system including all lines, ck valve, fuel filters, pumps, etc. unless it was properly mothballed without any fuel, will have to be completely flushed with a complete tank cleanout requiring its removal.

If the seller won't sell it "as is" then negotiate a reasonable price when he gets it running and can demonstrate it running and producing proper AC power under load (120/240 @ 60 hZ). If he is not willing to get it to that state of operation then he could only sell it "AS IS". If you take the time & effort to do all the leg work or arrange that for him that is worth $omething & your should be credited for your efforts.

Last edited:

cbisson

Is there anyone qualified in the Knoxville, TN area who I could hire to do a generator service and startup? It is an MEP-002a with ASK. It has been sitting for several years. I understand that starting it without inspecting and possibly servicing certain items can lead to wreckage. The generator is not mine yet so I’d have to work out the details with the owner. I am trying to purchase the generator.
Thank you for any help.
Really none of my business but.....it seems odd to me that you would want to get this running so he can charge you for a running generator?? If you pay to have someone get it to a state where it will run well then its now worth more money isn't it? What if he decides that now that its running maybe he'll just keep it? The way I see it these things aren't rare or desirable enough for this deal structure.

Chainbreaker

I agree with Cbisson. From my vantage point it appears to be shaping up to be an "odd deal" that could go South on you no matter how nice the guy seems.

If it were me... I would inform him there really are only 2 options:

Option 1: I will pay $XXX dollars after its running and it has been properly serviced and load tested to verify it can sustain 5kw power @ 120/240 60 Hz. The responsibility to get it to that state is on him, not you.

Option 2: Here is my "as is" offer for $XX with your understanding that this genset may never run properly or produce AC output & end up having to be sold off for parts only to recover your investment...hopefully.

Sometimes it can take a lot of $, time & effort to bring a neglected machine back to life. There could even be parts that are needed that cannot be easily sourced, or end up co$ting an arm & a leg.

If you haven't already done so...go on eBay & search on "MEP-002a" and look at the cost of parts that are available. Some examples simple items: Glow plugs ~ $100 ea x2, Oil pressure switch ~$70, Temp Switch ~$73, Facet fuel pump ~$270 ea x3, OEM CH6 PL oil filter ~$32...the list goes on.

Ray70

I agree with Chainbreaker 100% , this is sounding more and more like a loose-loose for you with the current deal structure.
You should stick to the 2 options CB laid out, otherwise walk away for it!
Another option is that there are several guys on this forum including myself, that offer good, low hour tested and serviced machines for sale.
One of us might be a better, more honest solution than your current deal..... only drawback might be location / shipping costs.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely none of my business, but what is the guy asking for the MEP002? As others have stated, this deal smells a little. I would go for an untested, cheap and complete unit for a very good price as is, or pay more for a tested unit.

Paul Lohr

Guys, I appreciate your help with this.

The fellow who owns the generator seems to be an upstanding man of the Lord. Both him and I are capable of falling due to our own poor choices. It is a matter of setting up the deal wisely, which I'm sure all of you understand. The machine has a certain value based on its known and unknown conditions. Beyond that other options become more promising. At this point a deal can't be setup for several reasons and that's fine.

I missed out on a great machine from a good fellow in west Tennessee. That was my fault.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks