• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A Shakes

Xacto

I recently purchased an MEP 002A, and when it is running it shakes pretty good. Any tools will rattle off within 30 seconds. I checked the motor mounts and they seemed to be in good shape. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone designed their own acoustic suppression box for the MEP 002A?

Thanks.

Triple Jim

If it makes you feel better, I don't leave tools on my MEP-003A while it's running for the same reason, and four cylinder engines are inherently smoother running than two cylinder engines.

ETN550

In order to have even firing order which is needed on a generator for smooth speed, a two cylinder engine must have both pistons running up and down together, firing alternately. This is essentially a large single cylinder engine as far a balance is concerned. If you are running on concrete make sure the skid is evenly supported. If one of the corners of the skid is unsupported then vibration is increased greatly. Drive a wood shim under the corner that is light to see the effect. Try running it on a smooth gravel or dirt surface. Sand is ideal. It may be surprisingly smoother. If your tools are staying on the unit 30 actual seconds that is very smooth in my opinion.

For the smoothest possible operation bolt it and toe clamp it down to a concrete slab section over 3x the weight of the unit. Not only will it be smoother but it will be quieter as well. If you are going to make a permanant installation it will be worth it.

1800 Diesel

I recently purchased an MEP 002A, and when it is running it shakes pretty good. Any tools will rattle off within 30 seconds. I checked the motor mounts and they seemed to be in good shape. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone designed their own acoustic suppression box for the MEP 002A?

Thanks.
Have you run other MEP002As so you have a point of reference? We got one in awhile back and noticed it was vibrating considerably more than two others we had running. After removing the blower wheel and cleaning all the dirt dobber clay & other debris, reinstalled it, also adjusted the valves and also found several loose bolts on the blower housing. Not sure which one helped the most (probably the valves) but it definitely runs smoother now. I've also read on this site that others have replaced the pedestal bearing (supporting the generator shaft) and both noise & vibration levels were reduced. Another item to check is the flexible mounts for damage or wear which causes misalignment and vibration.

steelypip

Mine's currently on the asphalt parking pad, which isn't especially level, and it shakes quite a bit. It has run about 65 hours that way with no noticeable harm. I do intend to put it down on rubber biscuits at some point to even the load out between the four corners of the skid. In the long run, it's going on a dedicated treated wood and masonry frame dug into the (granite and red clay) hillside. I suspect that'll damp the vibration quite a bit.

I haven't bothered to adjust the valves on mine yet, but it seems to fire quite evenly, has good economy and plenty of reserve power, so I doubt I'd get much more smoothness. I'll probably do it this summer if I'm looking for a quick project one weekend.

Xacto

Thanks for the advice. I mounted the generator on an Airforce tarmac wagon. I'm going to take apart the fan cover to see if anything is loose or if mudd-dobers have gotten in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks