• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002a shutting down

hahnkl

Last week while using the genset (MEP 002a) it just shut down after running a few hours. It started back up and it ran fine for about 3 more hours. A couple days latter the same thing happened but twice this time. The Genset is now doing this more frequently to the point it will only run a a few minutes before shutting down. It always starts back up but I am finding that I have to keep the starter engaged until the genset reaches near full RPM or it will shut down while starting. I feel the problem is most likely with the fuel system but would like some advice before I start working on it. Fuel level in the tank is near full per the tank guage and with visual inspection. Thanks for any help.

1800 Diesel

...... It always starts back up but I am finding that I have to keep the starter engaged until the genset reaches near full RPM or it will shut down while starting. .....
This condition is normal. The start switch must be held long enough for oil pressure to come up & holding the switch engaged also allows the field to be flashed in order for the generator to produce voltage. (With no oil pressure the oil switch will trigger a shut-down.)

As far as fuel issues: Have you changed fuel filters lately & cleaned out & drained filter & strainer housings? If you''re not certain about the fuel tank condition, you should also drain the tank & do a thorough cleaning. If you're confident the tank is clean & the strainer & filters are clean & free from any water, then remove fuel supply line from inlet side of injection pump & run pump & verify good flow (into a temp bottle). Also verify return fuel line is clear.

I haven't run into this myself, but possibly you have an issue with the fuel shut-off solenoid too.

You could also try searching the forum for similar symptoms. It seems like I've seen this discussed before.

Chainbreaker

If not a fuel supply issue it might be that you have an issue with either your oil pressure sensor switch or even your high temp cut off switch. Either one intermittently acting up could cause it to shut down. You should be able to jumper those switches to temporarily bypass to see if one or the other is the problem. Do a search on those switches here and there should be some info on how to troubleshoot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks