• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a stuck float in day tank

mtfleming

Can't seem to unscrew float from day tank to clean it. Any suggestions? Also, is it possible to run the generator from the main storage tank and not use the day tank? I'm concerned that the float would stick and run fuel out of the day tank.

Ray70

A little heat on the threaded fitting might help. Not too hot, just warm it up a bit.
Just don't go crazy because the fittings are soldered to the tank.
You can also try putting your wrench on the float and hitting it with a dead blow hammer.

You could run off your aux. storage tank and eliminate the on board tank all together, but you would need to replumb a few things.
You would need to have your main pumps pulling from the aux. supply tank ( assuming it is close to the gen. and you also need to redirect the fuel return from the IP back to the aux. tank as well, otherwise you'll eventually overflow the on board tank.
Personally I would try spending a little more time getting the float out and cleaned up first.

Chainbreaker

I have used a heat gun & PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc. after a little warm-up heat and then let it set, sometimes overnight. It usually will break free when I threaten it with my big honking crescent wrench!

You should clean both float mechanisms (fuel gauge float & the aux refill switch mechanisms) while you're at it. Yes, the Aux fuel sender switch can be a problem if it sticks and activates a refill of your day tank from Aux tank. It will cause an overflow & can make a big diesel mess should it stick at the fill trigger level & overflow day tank. Ask me how I know... lol :unsure:

I usually don't enable the automatic Aux refill until day tank gets low & I turn it off when it's topped up. On one of my gensets I have a 50 gal Aux tank and at today's diesel fuel prices that's potentially a very costly fuel loss & BIG mess. Especially if it happened when no one is around or left with aux setting activated & running overnight.

Last edited:

mtfleming

I have used a heat gun & PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc. after a little warm-up heat and then let it set, sometimes overnight. It usually will break free when I threaten it with my big honking crescent wrench!

You should clean both float mechanisms (fuel gauge float & the aux refill switch mechanisms) while you're at it. Yes, the Aux fuel sender switch can be a problem if it sticks and activates a refill of your day tank from Aux tank. It will cause an overflow & can make a big diesel mess should it stick at the fill trigger level & overflow day tank. Ask me how I know... lol :unsure:

I usually don't enable the automatic Aux refill until day tank gets low & I turn it off when it's topped up. On one of my gensets I have a 50 gal Aux tank and at today's diesel fuel prices that's potentially a very costly fuel loss & BIG mess. Especially if it happened when no one is around or left with aux setting activated & running overnight.
Thanks for all the replies. Also, if I run the generator out of fuel, does it damage anything or cause a problem?