• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002a sx460 AVR conversion 7.5 amp breaker trippping.

herbertv2

I'm 100% certain of that there is nothing else connected to the field circuit, just the sx460 and the 2 wires from the exciter circuit.

I tried hooking everything up 100% by the book, even flashed the field by the book, leaving my exciter wiring disconnected, and got nothing from the generator. the residual magnetism lets it generate about 2-3 volts that';s if you flash its a few minutes before starting, if it sits for much longer you are lucky to get 1-2 volts from it across l1 and l3

herbertv2

If I can find what is making it lose it's magnetism , and get it to where it can generate the 8-11 volts it's supposedly supposed to the Sx460 would work like a charm. I've seen only one sx460 conversion on this forum on a MEP-002a that works Craig A Tull's, I compared this conversion to his they are practically identical, and his works with out flashing the field, though he eliminated the output control box, where this conversion don't, both use the same double delta configuration, just this conversion reuses the existing TB2 shorting bar, where the other uses a new one.

Craig's conversion his residual magnetism allows his to generate 11 volts which is plenty to start a SX460 the way it's supposed too.

Triple Jim

Any chance one or more of your rotating diodes is bad? That seems unlikely, since you're getting high voltage when manually flashing, but I wonder if you've checked.

herbertv2

No I haven't check them, like you I was assuming they were good since it generates power when the field is flashed. I know it's lin the service manual but is there a quick way to check them?