• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 002a will not start with a warm engine

I can move the control arm of the ip very easy with my finger. Now about the spring attached to the governer adjustment screw. I am not sure what spring you are fererring to. Do you mean spring #17-page 7-3;-figure7-2;-TM 34? From what I can see; and from limited general experience. It does look like there should be some type of light spring to lift the control arm. There is nothing I see to lift the arm. Unless I did not look right in both TMs 12 and 34. I did not see a spring showing that would lift the arm. I am not sure what is going on for neither manual shows the set up that is on the unit I have, TM 34 is not like it at all, and TM 12 is close, but not exactly. The governer linkage is like in TM 12 [in that the moveable part of the rod slides into the stationary part of the rod, yet the control arm that is on the unit is different from what is shown in both manuals??? In TM 34 page 7-1; F7-33 I do see what looks like a clock type spring. Is this the spring you are referring to? From what I can see it looks like it would lift the arm once the fuel solenoid lifted.

Munchies: Thank you. Where did you get that picture? It is not in the TM on this sight, I did notice it is TS-585-34. That I have fond on here are TM-584-34. OK that spring is in place. Now the difference on the unit I have is part #10 governer linkage. In the above pictur it looks like a solid shaft [with length adjustments at both ends, but still a solid shaft.] Part #10 on the picture above does not look like what is on my unit, that piece on my unit the bottom half slides into the top half, some what like a control cable would slide in and out of the cable housing. I sure hope you or some one else has seen the set up I am trying to explain and have a sugestion. For I am lost at this point.

Last edited:
I do understand what you are saying "The spring #6 yanks on the governor arm and in turn pulls up the linkage connected to the IP." I also understand that this operation would work with a solid shaft from the governer shaft to the ip linkage. Is the part #10 a solid shaft on most units? Or is it as I will try to describe. The bottom half of part 10 has a ball joint that fastens to the ip arm; just past the ball joint the shaft is about 3/16" in diameter [much like a cable] and is about 1/2 the length of the total linkage. The top 1/2 of part 10 is about 1/2" in diameter. When I lift the ip arm by hand the bottom half slides into the top half [again much like a cable in a cable housing] the position of the top half of part 10 does not move when I lift the arm manually. Also I can see a clean area on the bottom 1/2 of part 10 that shows the point that it enters the top part. Please advise, thank you.

Munchies

ALL MEP 002/003 use that spring loaded governor linkage. What you have is correct.
Its like a miniature shock absorber.

Take this part off. Does the internal spring pull the two pieces together or is it floppy?
With this off the main governor arm #9 should be all the way up. If you mush it down near the notch where the spring loaded governor linkage was is there decent spring pressure pushing back?

We are trying to find out why #9 is not pulling the throttle up. #9 is basically always pulling up in varying amounts of pressure, and the shutoff solenoid just smashes the throttle down and the spring loaded governor linkage takes some of the pressure off of #9 so the solenoid does not have to push against the main spring pressure.

Munchies you are both a life saver and a genius! I now have comprehenson! Please disregard the previous post. Upon further and closer investagation; I actually get it, and understand the proper princaple of operation. The fact is as you said; the spring 6 does in lift the linkage. The problem I found was that the ball joint on the ip arm is just a little bit worn; what was happening when the fuel cut off solenoid would lift, the ball joint would cock and jam, not allowing spring 6 to lift the linkage. As soon as I would touch the ball joint it would lift. I also took notice the alignment of the linkage was just a little bit off. [skewed] Since I do not have a replacement ball joint yet, what I did was move the top ball joint location out just a little bit on arm 9. That improved the alignment between the top and bottom enough so the bottom ball joint does not jam. The unit started right up. Oh yes i did see that the picture you posted was from the mep 300a manual. Never thought to look there. I have now down loaded the manuals for the 003 as well as the list of common parts for both units. Care to guess my nest question? Yes where to get a new ball joint end? If I remember right I saw someone on this site has them. I will check. Must take care of some of prriorities fro now. Thank you for all your help and patients.

Munchies

JimC has some on here and I think on ebay as well. I do believe someone here found a replacement at their local ace hardware, but its been a long time since I read that discussion. If all else fails it is an active cummins-onan part number. When searching for a cummins or onan number try it both with the zero in front of the part number and without.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/genuineparts/MECH_00001500939.html

here is some back and forth on the subjeect.. I posted in there but I dont have any left now.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?75575-Mep-002A-governor-linkage-broken

Jimc

just click the link below and it will take you to the classified ad for the linkage ends. this is not for the steel ball but for the nylon plastic end. i dont think your steel ball is worn. the plastic end wont wear that out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks