• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Wont Start

Racky

Hi everybody I just won 2 MEP-002a gensets that are NOS and were in long term storage. I finally got to work on one of them yesterday. Removed tape and plastic bags filled with oil and diesel installed batterys and low and behold no start. It turns over fine. I have oil pressure while cranking. I have diesel to injector pump but none coming out of return or injector lines. The governor linkage is free and shut down solenoid is working. The shut down lever on side of injector pump moves freely. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Racky

1800 Diesel

A few questions to ask---Did you pull the throttle out about half way? Did you crack the lines right at the injectors while cranking? (Don't let spray hit your hands or face, etc..) Did you run the priming pumps to push an air through the filters? (I assume that's how you saw fuel at the IP inlet...) Is cranking speed good? Did you preheat for 45-60 seconds? Any white smoke coming out while cranking?

Forgot to mention, if you get it running, set the engine up to speed right away--for these units, the "Do not idle rule" applies!

Last edited:

storeman

After bleeding the fuel system, even though the fuel lever on the side of the IP may move freely, hold it up in the max position while someone else cranks and see if you get fuel to the injectors.
Jerry

Racky

Thanks for replying guys. Yes I pulled hand throttle 1/2 way out I primed the filters with electric pumps.I removed injector line from injection pump no fuel. It turns over very well and no white smoke. I tried holding fuel shut down lever all the way up also when my son cranked it over. I hope to work on this more tomorrow.

Thanks
Racky

storeman

Thanks for replying guys. Yes I pulled hand throttle 1/2 way out I primed the filters with electric pumps.I removed injector line from injection pump no fuel. It turns over very well and no white smoke. I tried holding fuel shut down lever all the way up also when my son cranked it over. I hope to work on this more tomorrow.

You answered my question. Fuel to the pump, but not past it JBK is likely right.
Jerry

DeucesWild11

I just went through the exact same issue on my MEP002, I had a bad Injector Pump. I just replaced mine last night and now it starts up. I would bet that's your problem as well as JBK said.

Racky

Thanks for the the help I got it running. I found a sticky plunger I was able to work it back and forth with some LPS1 put it back together and it started right up. Now It runs good but its not making power according to the panel gauges. I shut it right down and wanted to come here for some advice on how to proceed . Without thinking I started another post so I took gimpyrobbs advice and continued this thread. Waiting for this snow to go away to try what was recommended.In the mean time how does one flash the field ?

Thanks In Advance
Racky

Triple Jim

If the control system is functioning properly, flashing the field happens whenever you're cranking the engine, and continues until you move the switch to the run position. If the starter lockout is working, you can move the switch back to the start position to flash the field again, although if the first time didn't do it, it's unlikely that subsequent tries will help.

leedawg

If the control system is functioning properly, flashing the field happens whenever you're cranking the engine, and continues until you move the switch to the run position. If the starter lockout is working, you can move the switch back to the start position to flash the field again, although if the first time didn't do it, it's unlikely that subsequent tries will help.
My Experince with the 003 and 002 are fairly little. But triple Jim on the 005 I know if I crank it over and let it start and release too soon the field will not flash. Maybe that is what he is doing? I find I have to hold it in the start position for a good 3-5 seconds after the motor has started up.

I would try this but probably like triple jim said unlikely to work but ya never know..

Racky

Ok went outside started generator and held start switch for 10 seconds after starting. No power at gauges, outlet, or lugs. I read in the TM that I need to apply 12v to f3 and f5 if I remember correctly. I will have to put more time to it later after taking granddaughter sleigh riding.

Racky

Racky

Ok got some time to work on the generator today. I opened front of control panel and ac output box. Everything inside looked brand new not even any dust. I started the generator and jumped 12v to t3-5 and t3-6 and it made power at receptacle and output lugs. I than shut it down and restarted no power again flashed again and power was made. According to the TM I need a new voltage regulator. Any input or help as always is greatly appreciated.

Racky

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks