• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a

CTXKIGER

Here is where im at. The machine dies because its running out of fuel. The pump is receiving 24 volts in both auxilary prime and standard prime position. However for some reason the pump does not operate properly in the standard start/prime mode. Why would this happen when its receiving the same voltage in both modes?

CTXKIGER

Ok its runnin like a champ now but it has to be in auxillary mode for what ever reason!!!! Now i just need to find the linkage that goes from governor arm to the ip. Does anyone have a spare i can buy or a source??? Thanks for all the help!

Guyfang

Staff member
I say again. Do you get 24 volts at two of the three electric fuel pump plugs, when S-1 is in the run position?

You can take a piece of wire, go from the positive side of the battery to the male side of the electric fuel pumps and make them run. Try that. See if the electric fuel pumps will run. Open the last fuel filter petcock and make each electric fuel pump runs. As mentioned before, you should get a real good stream. Fill a coke can in 20-30 seconds. If all the pumps run, then the problem is from the S-1 start switch to the electric fuel pumps. The electric fuel pumps MUST be screwed to the frame with serrated washers, or grounding is a problem. The 002 and 003 sets are infamous for having electric fuel pump problems because of grounding problems at the pumps.

Also remember that when the set is in AUX fuel mode, there is a solenoid that MUST open to let the AUX fuel into the normal fuel system. Easy to check. Read the book. The solenoid is inline with the AUX electric fuel pump.

cuad4u

Originally there were 3 24V fuel pumps on the 002A and 003A. Two are for normal operation and the third one is the AUX pump used to fill the built in fuel tank from a 55 gallon drum etc. The third pump only runs when the master switch is in the AUX position and the solenoid only opens when the level control in the built in fuel tank calls for fuel to refill the tank from the 55 gallon drum. You only NEED one 24V fuel pump working for the generator to run properly. The military spec'ed two pumps so the gen would continue to run if one pump failed in a critical situation. There are some pumps offered on ebay. They are pricey. The OE pumps were made by Facet and go for around $250 each. I have been told that SOME of the lower priced ebay pumps do not have the necessary "innards" to run two pumps at the same time as they are supposed to do. I do not know. I have a couple of 002A's that have been running happily on one 24V pump for several years. Having two is insurance but not necessary for the generator to run. Sounds like you are getting there. Keep us posted.

PS: I feel your pain. It took me 5 weeks of piddling and lots of $$ to get my first 002A running three years ago. Some 002A and 003A gens start right up and run perfectly and some require a lot of trouble shooting and work.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
You know, the military mounted these pumps on a million different things, not just generators. Are you near anyone who has a junk yard with ex-military equipment in it? No dealers in SS who are parting out something with these pumps on it? They were mounted on just about every truck known to man. Pumped the fuel from the tank to the injector pump on the engine. Forklifts, 2.5 -5 ton trucks, heaters, shop vans the list goes on forever.

cuad4u is right. The set runs fine on one pump. If you are NOT going to use AUX fuel, simply use the one pump for your normal electric fuel pump. I would also advise you to pull both pumps off, wack em about twice and then place the pump body on the neg. side of a battery, and touch the wire to positive. Sometimes they simply need to be "loosened". You do not have to use 24 volts. The pumps work fine on 12 volts.

CTXKIGER

Thanks forcthe info yall. I will pull the two primary pumps off again and see if i can get one to working. If not i dont have a problem just running it as it is now. Does anyone happen to have a spare linkage laying around. Its missing that piece that runs from the governor arm to the ip. Thanks again!