• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002aas (ask)

Titanium-Wolverine

After searching, and searching, and searching to find what kind of generator would be best suited for me, I came to the conclusion that the mep-002 was "MY" best bet.

Figuring in inital cost, fuel consumption (and fuel avalibility and storage), reliability, avalibility of parts, and manuverability. I found the mep-002 to be a high scorer for all my parameters.

Which I ow a big thank you to many of you here. I got some of my info for the mep from google, and the pages out the the 400 page manuals for this machine (lots of reading to come.....:-?)
.......but most of my info I got from you fellas,,,,thanks for putting the info out there for everyone to learn from![thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Ok, so tell me if I did GOOD - OK or BAD.

I picked it op from GL and drove to Fort Bragg to pick it up. $70 bucks fuel to get there and back.

I paid $377 for the machine, 37 for some fee they charged, and 28 bucks tax, and 3 bucks for a red bull to keep me from falling asleep on the drive back.....LOL

I have a grand total of $520 into this.

Stilll dont know if it runs, but I do know it needsa a new switch for the voltage adjust. and a new run, start, stop, prime switch, and some batteries,,,then lots of TCL and prep work.

She has about 3400 hours on it, which is equivilant to having about 20,000 miles on your chevy or ford truck,,,,,,,am I right? LOTS of life left if in good condition.

Now for my questions.

In that hole in the top of the ASK, which is the actual exhaust? The pipe or do those louvers open and the exhaust comes out of there?
......and why is the box that I have my arm in not just covered in black soot from the desiel fuel?

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

The exhaust is from that pipe nipple, the louvers open when the temperature rises, it is controlled by an air thermostat (thermal motor). Now, why no black soot? That is an IDI diesel (pre-chamber) and it is 70 cubic inches. One horsepower is equivalent to 748 Watts, give or take. Now both the engine and the generator have their own fans, each taking about 1/2 HP. So at 5000 Watts output, the engine is putting out 7.8 Hp. Not heavily loaded.

CUCVs don't really smoke, yet that 378 cubic inch IDI puts out 130 Hp. If this little 2 cylinder 70 cubic inch engine were tuned like the CUCV engine, it would put out 24 Hp. Smoke happens when the duration of the fuel injection is wide. For low-power conditions, the injection is only a tiny pulse, far lean and totally burned.

The only time they smoke is on start up since the governor is set for maximum duration. As speed climbs to governed, the duration of injection shortens.

Oh, looks like you too have the dreaded fuel tank issue. My MEP 002A was even worse. I've pulled the filler tube and its cage (6 rivets and solder) to get good access. Wear gloves, it will cut you to shreds. Scrape the rust, then wire brush and use phosphoric acid to pickle the rust. Let dry, rinse and scrub, repeating until clean. Then use the POR tank coating system.

Yes, I had some flames shoot up during the desoldering process. Just have a hose handy. Rust is a sponge for fuel, eventually it will cease to flame.

Titanium-Wolverine

great,,,thanks for the tip!

I guess the basic stuff will get done this week, filters, clean out the tank (maybe it is just flash and a good rough steel wool will take it off. The filler tube will need some heavier sanding:grd:.

Titanium-Wolverine

I see that these ASK kits are kind of sought after for the mep-002 machines.

I would be willing to sell the one off my machine. I plan on put this in its own little shed, behind my barn, so I could care less how much noise she makes!:cool:

what would be a fair asking price, on craigslist or ebay???

Keith_J

Price? What the market will bear. You probably won't get much action on craig's but the classifieds here would be the best. Think of your brothers here, plus no commission. Sure, shipping might be a bear but if you make the buyer pay, all is covered.

If my 002 were set up for stationary use, the ASK might be of utility. But it won't fit through my side gate with the ASK. Yes, I have it mounted on pneumatic tire casters. 10" OD, rated for 300 pounds each, barely work on grass.

Keith_J

Or you could liquidate.

Expensive are replacement parts from new old stock. Which is why we all need to think depot level maintenance of items.

Titanium-Wolverine

Price? What the market will bear. You probably won't get much action on craig's but the classifieds here would be the best. Think of your brothers here, plus no commission. Sure, shipping might be a bear but if you make the buyer pay, all is covered.

If my 002 were set up for stationary use, the ASK might be of utility. But it won't fit through my side gate with the ASK. Yes, I have it mounted on pneumatic tire casters. 10" OD, rated for 300 pounds each, barely work on grass.
build a bigger gate!:beer:

Liquidate what.....?:neutral:

derf

Nice MG. Is is a RWA?
ASK should be worth $100-200, in my opinion. It is worth quite a bit in just scrap Aluminum. My 003 ASK had the insulation in bad shape but having the panels you can line the inside with some good, modern insulation.

BTW, you did good considering you got a Diesel powered generator for about 1/10th the price of a new one.
Personally, I'm ten for ten when it comes to getting GL Diesel gens to run. So far nine out of ten have run and made power. I'm still working on getting power out of the 10th one.
For what I paid, though, even if the next five are total basket case losses I'd still be ahead.

Last edited:

Titanium-Wolverine

cool thanks.

What is an RWA? hells if I know, its a 1973 1275cc midgit ?:confused:

Funny story with that MG:mrgreen:

I totally forgot her last birthday,,,she reminded me 3 weeks after. Bad JUJU!!!

Then our anniversary came up and I had to go out of town to the gun show,,,,,(big show and I dont like to miss that one, sales are usually good!!!!) SHE WAS AS MEAN AS A PISSED OFF HUNGRY WOLVERINE!! That would be bad JuJu #2

Last Chrismas,,(waited till last miniute and ended up getting her a crock pot.hmmmm, more BAD JUJU! (hells yeah, I was on a roll though!!):driver:

Then last valentines day, my best frind told me that his wife and mine were talking and he haerd my wife say "if I bail out on her one more time the sheot was going to hit the fan!"

Her dream car was a early 70's midgit, so I had to act fast! I did not have the money so I traded the guy an acre of land I had up in the mountains, and walla! I was a hero.

keep in mind we have a 4 year old and a new little girl that will be here in Dec.

that car is worthless to US! I told her to let me get a 70 chevelle, but NOOOOOOOOOO!

...and she cant even drve a stick!!! OK RANT OVER!!!!!LOL

derf

RWA = Round Wheel Arch. The early Sprites and 71-74 Midgets had them. The others had Square Wheel arch. If the rear wheel is partially covered by the rear quarter panel then you have a Square Wheel Arch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks