• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 AUX Fuel Solenoid

nonnieselman

What is the point in the solenoid? Why not switch the pump on and off? Is it to prevent a siphon?

Thanks to Hurrican Ida we have been running 80 hours on the MEP-003 and I've been using the AUX to fill the day tank "manually". I leave it in AUX until the day tank is full and turn it back to Run.

My gen set didn't come with any AUX pump stuff. So I bought a new Facet and put it on for a main run pump and a older pump for the AUX.

Have been wondering why the Aux Solenoid.

I thought about hooking the float switch to the pump and test it to see how it works since my AUX tank is above the day tank and it doesn't siphon like it is now.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Scoobyshep

I cant speak for what their actual reasoning is, but I can imagine it is to A: antisiphon or B: hold prime. It might be worth trying, just make sure the circuit is capabable of handling the load.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What is the point in the solenoid? Why not switch the pump on and off? Is it to prevent a siphon?

Thanks to Hurrican Ida we have been running 80 hours on the MEP-003 and I've been using the AUX to fill the day tank "manually". I leave it in AUX until the day tank is full and turn it back to Run.

My gen set didn't come with any AUX pump stuff. So I bought a new Facet and put it on for a main run pump and a older pump for the AUX.

Have been wondering why the Aux Solenoid.

I thought about hooking the float switch to the pump and test it to see how it works since my AUX tank is above the day tank and it doesn't siphon like it is now.

Thanks everyone.
Logic says that Scoobyshep is most likely right on both counts - "A" and "B".

Do what you will, but at the moment, you have had 80 good hours of run time. According to the "talking heads" on television, you have another possible few weeks of no power from the utility company. You already know it could be more depending on where you live...

My suggestion is that what you have is working. Maybe leave it alone and keep doing what you are doing. You do have power.
If your update - and whatever it is - causes you to burn up something it might get really difficult to find parts.

Chainbreaker

If I am reading your comments correctly your unit does not have an auxiliary solenoid, correct? If so, you can find a new solenoid relatively cheap on eBay. Just search for "MEP-002A,MEP-003A,Kip Inc Solenoid Valve, Part # 6X323, 10 Watts, 24 Volts DC" and it should come up. I'm assuming the wiring harness section that plugs into the Solenoid valve is still there.

It would seem much more convenient to have your auxiliary fuel system working as designed since it sounds like the power outages will go on for weeks in some areas.

Ray70

With your aux tank higher than the gen are you saying the current setup will siphon? ( I would expect YES )
Adding the solenoid will stop that from happening.
If you decide to make your machine function as designed, I probably have the parts to do so, solenoid etc.
Is all the wiring still in tact?

nonnieselman

Thanks for all the replies.

I've had this generator since October and it's been great since we loose power weekly.

Yea the connector is there for the AUX solenoid.
My buddys 003 is setup correctly so that's the only way I knew it was missing missing the aux pump/solenoid.

I've been tryin to figure out how many amps the facet pumps draw. But no luck yet.

I turned generator off this morning to check oil level (about 84 hours and burnt almost 2 quarts oil) and when I fired it back up I have no AC power output. The resistor on the bridge rectifier assembly burnt. So I borrowed my buddys 002 and have power again with much less noise haha.

Now I'm looking for the bridge rectifier assembly and an AUX fuel solenoid.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for all the replies.

I've had this generator since October and it's been great since we loose power weekly.

Yea the connector is there for the AUX solenoid.
My buddys 003 is setup correctly so that's the only way I knew it was missing missing the aux pump/solenoid.

I've been tryin to figure out how many amps the facet pumps draw. But no luck yet.

I turned generator off this morning to check oil level (about 84 hours and burnt almost 2 quarts oil) and when I fired it back up I have no AC power output. The resistor on the bridge rectifier assembly burnt. So I borrowed my buddys 002 and have power again with much less noise haha.

Now I'm looking for the bridge rectifier assembly and an AUX fuel solenoid.
Well dang.

I guess now we will get to see how well UPS or FedEx or the USPS will be at getting the repair parts to your house.

Guess it is nice to have friends with spare machines that make power!

nonnieselman

Well dang.

I guess now we will get to see how well UPS or FedEx or the USPS will be at getting the repair parts to your house.

Guess it is nice to have friends with spare machines that make power!
Yea the shipping is the worst part usually but now I can't find the bridge rectifier board anywhere on the net.
A buddy works for the .gov and he said they just got all new cat gensets and auctioned off all the 002 and 003s they were using.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yea the shipping is the worst part usually but now I can't find the bridge rectifier board anywhere on the net.
A buddy works for the .gov and he said they just got all new cat gensets and auctioned off all the 002 and 003s they were using.
Well, I recognize at least three folks on this thread who work on and/or repair and at least one sells those machines.

Hopefully one of them will chime in after work this evening with a source or a part for sale...

nonnieselman

Well, I recognize at least three folks on this thread who work on and/or repair and at least one sells those machines.

Hopefully one of them will chime in after work this evening with a source or a part for sale...
Got to love a forum like this!
Thanks for the help. I'll keep eye on the thread

I see GMG shows one listed but out of stock.

Guyfang

Staff member
Read the TM. It explains the fuel system in detail. In short, the Aux solenoid is needed to keep the fuel tank from over filling when in the AUX fuel mode. When the set is in AUX mode, it draws fuel from a secondary source. If the solenoid were not there, how would you control how much fuel is to be pumped? When the fuel level sending unit senses FULL, it sends a signal to the solenoid to close. That in turn makes the electric fuel pump stop pumping. I did not say, "shuts the electric fuel pump off". It simply closes off the passage of fuel. When the pump can no longer pump fuel into the hose to the fuel tank, because the hose is full, the pump slows down to next to nothing. When the fuel level sending unit goes down some, the contacts reverse, and the solenoid opens back up to allow fuel to be pumped to the tank.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Read the TM. It explains the fuel system in detail. In short, the Aux solenoid is needed to keep the fuel tank from over filling when in the AUX fuel mode. When the set is in AUX mode, it draws fuel from a secondary source. If the solenoid were not there, how would you control how much fuel is to be pumped? When the fuel level sending unit senses FULL, it sends a signal to the solenoid to close. That in turn makes the electric fuel pump stop pumping. I did not say, "shuts the electric fuel pump off". It simply closes off the passage of fuel. When the pump can no longer pump fuel into the hose to the fuel tank, because the hose is full, the pump slows down to next to nothing. When the fuel level sending unit goes down some, the contacts reverse, and the solenoid opens back up to allow fuel to be pumped to the tank.
Guy,

Eventually I will learn enough to be smart enough to run one of these things. :)
The explanations you give are darn good and I really appreciate it.

Tim

Guyfang

Staff member
You are way farther along then most. Mostly its a matter of having a problem, and then having to fix it. As my German buddy always says, "Learning, by doing." :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks