• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003 crankcase ventilation

coyote62ny

i have a 003 and was wondering where the engine vented the crankcase no external tube or filter for air to get in i read the tm and seen the vent in the valve cover into the intake just thought it was strange not to have a way for air to get into the crankcase like a tractor engine tube down the side of the engine or a filtered cap on the oil fill tube . also where can you get valve cover gaskets as i would like to check the valve clearance on my 003 as it has 975 hours on it thanks in advance

Keith_J

There is very little displaced volume in this engine and with three compression rings plus oil control, there is little blow-by. What little there is goes to the intake.

MEP-002a are half that engine (or 003A is twice a 002A) and because each piston is at top dead center at the same time, there IS displaced crankcase volume which is why these have breathers.

Since these engines should always run at 1800 RPM (fixed injection timing optimized for that RPM), blowby is minimal. No time for it.

Valve cover gaskets? I've never seen one tear. They are rubber, meant for reuse. If it breaks, just use Permatex Ultra Silicone. 1/8" bead is all it takes. Let it cure for a few hours before using.

jbk

breather pipe exits under valve cover check every 500 hrs. per tm. this applies to the 002 and 003. valve cover gaskets are fiber never seen rubber ones. try delks surplus thats were i got mine.

ctfjr

Valve cover gaskets? I've never seen one tear. They are rubber, meant for reuse. If it breaks, just use Permatex Ultra Silicone. 1/8" bead is all it takes. Let it cure for a few hours before using.
There is an old trick you can use if you need to fire the unit up fairly quickly. When you put your bead of silicone down take a thin strip of medical gauze & push it into the silicone. It adds a load of strength until the silicone cures

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an old trick you can use if you need to fire the unit up fairly quickly. When you put your bead of silicone down take a thin strip of medical gauze & push it into the silicone. It adds a load of strength until the silicone cures
Thats a neat trick. In the Old Days, there were more valve covers and valves to adjust, but that is a neat. I'll remember it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks