• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003 donor engine

Scoobyshep

I have the opportunity to get ahold of a mostly complete donor engine. Problem being it is 3000 miles from me and shipping is costly. What items would you all think should be pulled and saved?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

rickf

Injectors and glow plugs if still there. Fuel pumps but looks like this is nothing more than the basic engine and none of the main genset. I certainly would not pay to ship a stripped engine across the country! You could buy a genset complete for less.

Reactions: 98G

Scoobyshep

Why wouldn't you save EVERYTHING?
FSS solenoid, starter, DC regulator , battery charging stator, blower wheel, and everything else others mentioned.
It's just easier to keep it all together.
Just chuck the non-original wiring attached to the cover and keep the rest! ;)
It's the shipping costs. Looking at freight quotes

Ray70

Look at it this way... I know shipping costs will be a bit higher due to the weight, but the value of 1 piece that you leave behind will be more than the total shipping costs.

Sheetmetal for example... you may think it's not worth keeping the metal, but if you sell the sheet metal alone it will probably offset the cost of the entire purchase.

Plus, the seller ( if it's a stranger ) may want to charge you to disassemble things and if not careful he may damage difficult to remove items like glow plugs and injectors.

Like Guy stated, the oil cooler alone is worth $125 or so. Why leave it behind if it's going to save you $10 on freight cost?

Scoobyshep

After some online searching I was able to find a shipper that was more reasonable, so hopefully I should have the whole thing within a few weeks. Then I get to play the song and dance of injection pump replacement.

Thanks to all for the opinions

Scoobyshep

The problem is finding the correct timing buttons!
That is where the unknowns are most information I have is right out of the manual but despite my studies on it I am more of a Hands-On learner so until I actually get the components in my hands it's not all there I'm sure once I start taking it apart and following the timing procedure it should be easy

Ray70

Yes, it is very easy. A little time consuming, but easy. I've always just used the "flowing the pump" method, check it once, calculate how far away from PC you are, check the chart to see what button you need.... then try to find one at a reasonable price! ( this can be the hardest part )
Then change out the button ( without loosing the little clip ) reinstall the IP and away you go!
My biggest issue was that every pump I ever did seemed to require a #14, 15 or 16 and the giant pile of buttons I have quickly ran out of those sizes and as luck would have it, THOSE seemed to be the most expensive / difficult to find because seemingly were the most commonly needed.
But you may get lucky and have the correct button already in the donor engine's IP.

Chainbreaker

I'm sure I can manage. It's just a first so lot of unknowns right now
I know that feeling... the fear of the "unknown factors" when doing something new are always lurking in the back of my head... what if this happens, what if that happens, what if...etc.

However, every time I jump in and get going, I just take a slow & methodical approach and then the job always seems to become pretty straight forward. If I get frustrated with something or it's not going well, I just step back and take a break, sometimes overnight. Once I clear my head of any frustrations, doubts, etc. and then come back with a fresh mindset it normally becomes clearer than before.

Remember if you hit a wall, or unsure of something critical, you always have the "Steel Soldiers brain trust" as your backup and at your disposal!

Scoobyshep

Definitely the method i follow. It's rather refreshing being on the other side of the fence here. Normally I help advise people.

That's the best part of this place the wealth of knowledge and willingness to share.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks