• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 & External Fuel Tank

panic_button

When attaching an external fuel tank, does the tank need a return line to it or can you use the built in 12 gallon tank return? I'm looking at a 150 gallon and they come in 2 different configurations with and without return line fitting.

Thanks-

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an MEP-003A and it came with the aux fuel line and fitting for a 5-gallon GI fuel can or for a 55-gallon drum. There is no provision for a return. I have never attached the aux line and tried it, but I think I'll hook it up and see how it works. I looked in TM 5-6115-585-12 and found the following:

Placing the MASTER SWITCH in the PRIME-RUNAUXILIARY position activates the fuel pumps E2 and E3 as well as the auxiliary fuel pump El. If the fuel level is down, the fuel level switch S3 will be closed and the auxiliary fuel solenoid will actuate permitting fuel to be pumped into the tank. Placing the MASTER SWITCH (S1) into the PRIMERUN position maintains power to the main fuel pumps but deactivates the auxiliary fuel pump.

I now understand how it works. Fuel is simply pumped from the auxilliary tank into the main fuel tank and the existing return for the main tank is still used.​

Last edited:

coyotegray

If you attach an external tank as designed, you will not need a return.

The on-board tank has a fuel level sensor that controls a fuel solenoid on the aux fuel pump. Once the on-board tank gets to about 3/4 full it will shut off. When the level drops it will open again and fill the on-board tank.

It just transfers fuel from an external source to the on-board tank.

Andy..

lonegunman

If you attach an external tank as designed, you will not need a return.

The on-board tank has a fuel level sensor that controls a fuel solenoid on the aux fuel pump. Once the on-board tank gets to about 3/4 full it will shut off. When the level drops it will open again and fill the on-board tank.

It just transfers fuel from an external source to the on-board tank.

Andy..
Ditto this, the aux fuel is controlled by the float switch in the fuel tank. The aux fuel pump cycles to keep it about 3/4 full as the unit runs. It is the same on all of the MEP series I think. We used the stingers and 55 gallon drums all the time and never had problems.

150 gal tank should keep that thing running for a really long time.

Carl_in_NH

I use a drop hose and let my MEP003A automatically refill the day tank using the AUX fuel pump from either the deuce tank or my home heating oil source.

Now that you've got the fuel situation taken care of, don't forget about a store of engine oil and filters; stock-up before you get a major outage and you won't be scrambling for supplies.

hightops

aux fuel line fitting

i just bought an aux fuel tank for my mep-003. does anyone know what the specs are for the aux fuel connector and where i can get a connector and aux fuel line?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is how I mounted a 100 gallon aluminum truck tank for my 003. All you need is a single hose hooked to the auxilliary fitting. I just doesn't get any easier! No close-ups, but I think in the 2nd picture, you can see the brass fitting, plumbed in by the fill cap, awaitting the hose. The boards above the tank, are just to help support the tarp, when on the road. I value the tarp alot. It won't be warm, when I loose power here, but more likly -50F, and the tarp will be to help regulate the temperatures!

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"ROSCO- I really like your setup!!! Nice exhaust also. Im planning on setting up my 002 like that. "

I recently bought and 002. Because of its single exhaust port that is exposed, its easier to deal with. On my 003, I made up bolt on flanges, so that you can take the exhaust pipe off. On the 002 I simply got a formed 2", 90* bend exhaust elbow from NAPA, and also about 5' of 2"ID flexible exhaust pipe tubing that will slide over the end of the elbow. Then because the 45* NPT elbow that is normally seen on the small MEP's exhaust, is in fact NPT, I used two 11/2" jam nuts for EMT conduit. One I just threaded on the MEP's NPT 45* elbow as a jam nut, and the other jam nut, I welded on the NAPA exhaust elbow. Then, it too, can be screwed on the MEP's elbow. With this, the 1st thing I do when running the 002, I turn the exhaust UP, so its not in my face, or wiith the flexible pipe, I can direct it out the shop door, through and exhaust pipe port in the shop door.

dstang97

Before you buy one check to see if the hose is hidden in the genset. I bought another one only to discover mine was hidden in there.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cap and pickup tubes are generally mounted in places on the generator, cap above the fuel filters and the pipes (and ground rods) near the bottom of the frame near there. Hose can be made up if you match the fittings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks