• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003 fluctuating voltage

drjconley

I have a MEP 003 that I replaced the voltage regulator board last weekend. I can adjust the voltage now with the rheostat, but the voltage will not stay steady. The voltage will go up and down approximately 15 volts for a total variation of 30 volts. I tested the output with a voltmeter to make sure it is not the gauge, and the gauge is correct. The engine stays at a steady rpm and I am getting a steady 60 Hertz. I will be working on it next weekend and I am putting together a list of things to check.

Is there an obvious cause to this voltage fluctuation that I should check first?

Thanks,
Jim

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new voltage regulator probably needs adjusted. The TM explains the test circuit for checking and adjusting the voltage regulator (I'm sure you saw this in your troubleshooting of the other regulator). Because of the age of these units, I'm guessing that the regulator is a used one, it's probably just a matter of "dialing" it in. There are several pots on the regulator to adjust, one of them will fine tune the regulation to stop the "hunting" you are describing.

drjconley

Thank you again Speddmon if you lived closer I would drive over and buy you a beer. I really do appreciate your help.

I read the TM 5-6115-585-34 and on page 6-8 the directions say to adjust resistor R15.

Does anyone have a picture or a good description as to where resistor R15 is?

Jim

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be at the bottom of the board, around the middle somewhere....it's going to be a pot actually, not so much a resistor.....It's circled in the attached copy from the TM -24

I'll just be happy to hear you got it running smoothly once again....maybe someday down the road at a distant rally or something like that we'll settle up on the beer. :p

Attachments

drjconley

I finally got it working. It was the voltage regulator. I have a friend who helps me out and I let him rewire the new regulator. I gave him the schematic that came with the new board and he wired it up. I should have double checked his work. I rechecked it yesterday and after rewireing it, it worked great. I would like to thank Speddmon for all his help and guidance, it is appreciated.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks