• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003 frequency meter

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a MEP 003 last week. The unit fired right up but the frequency meter doesn't move. I have power coming out of the set so I'm thinking either my gauge or transducer is giving problems. I've searched and read threads that says a replacement is fairly expensive. What I'm trying to figure out is how to troubleshoot it to make sure what I need. All I've found in the TM says to check the gauge with another meter off the lugs and if they don't read the same, replace the meter and transducer.

I may just go with a inexpensive aftermarket meter but if I could troubleshoot this more and not have to have a new meter, I'd rather have it stock.

steelandcanvas

Ty, alot of folks have been buying the cheap "Kill-a-Watt" unit, and getting their frequency information from that. The frequency meter seems to be a little on the fragile side, mine worked for awhile then quit. I purchased a new one from Jay at Saturn. You're right, the Mil-Spec units are spendy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a multimeter that will read frequency but don't want to have to have it around every time I fire up the genset.

I've looked at the kill-a-watt and may just go that route. I'm assuming you just plug it into the convenience outlet?

I'm pretty well versed in household electricity and also a little in commercial 3-phase but this is the first generator I've fooled with much. I'm reading up on the TMs and threads and will eventually get it all figured out.

Jimc

If its just the gauge goto surpluscenter.com and in the search type generator. They have the military gauge panels for $59 that have a 60hz frequency gauge in it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How can you tell if it's the gauge or the transducer or both? I can't find anything in the TMs that tell what the wires going to the gauge coming from the transducer are supposed to read. I know there is 120v going into the transducer but can't find what the output is.

Isaac-1

I don't remember the answer for that, but I think the gauges are of the fixed ma range type (100ma?), it is likely marked on the back of the gauge, or in very very fine print on the face. Many older panel gauges use a fixed amp range (often .1 - .5Amps) to control needle position as this allowed for simpler electronics than using fixed volt range meters particularly prior to the days of good solid state DC voltage regulators.

leedawg

If I had to bet on it id put all my money on the transducer being the problem. Seems to be the part that always fails. The transducer and gauge are matched sets as well. Go to ebay and type in hardy diesel there is a nice little digital replacement that pops right into the hole its rectangular so get some plastic cut a square in it and then drill out three holes to mount the plastic into the hole and you will have voltage and fq in one digital meter.

steelandcanvas

I've got a multimeter that will read frequency but don't want to have to have it around every time I fire up the genset.

I've looked at the kill-a-watt and may just go that route. I'm assuming you just plug it into the convenience outlet?

I'm pretty well versed in household electricity and also a little in commercial 3-phase but this is the first generator I've fooled with much. I'm reading up on the TMs and threads and will eventually get it all figured out.
Yes, the Kill-a-Watt gizmo plugs right into the convenience outlet.

1800 Diesel

I picked up a MEP 003 last week. The unit fired right up but the frequency meter doesn't move. I have power coming out of the set so I'm thinking either my gauge or transducer is giving problems. I've searched and read threads that says a replacement is fairly expensive. What I'm trying to figure out is how to troubleshoot it to make sure what I need. All I've found in the TM says to check the gauge with another meter off the lugs and if they don't read the same, replace the meter and transducer.

I may just go with a inexpensive aftermarket meter but if I could troubleshoot this more and not have to have a new meter, I'd rather have it stock.
This might be a long shot, but the freq meter won't register until the engine speed is pretty close to 1800 RPM. Even at low frequency you can read proper voltage but without the engine being mighty close to proper speed, the freq meter won't register. Just figured you should try increasing engine speed a little to see if the meter begins to read...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was running the engine wide open, or at least as far as the cable will come out. I just need to put my multimeter on there and check the frequency so I can make sure I'm turning 1800.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to bet on it id put all my money on the transducer being the problem. Seems to be the part that always fails. The transducer and gauge are matched sets as well. Go to ebay and type in hardy diesel there is a nice little digital replacement that pops right into the hole its rectangular so get some plastic cut a square in it and then drill out three holes to mount the plastic into the hole and you will have voltage and fq in one digital meter.
I checked out that gauge. At first I had trouble finding it, typed in "hardy diesel" in the search box and all I got was Ed Hardy jeans. Then I searched as a username and found it.

It looks good but I wonder how to wire it. I'd assume you could just pick up the 120v line going to the transducer to read frequency but If you wanted to also read voltage, where would you hook it up? Could you just take all your readings (Hz and volts) off of the stock volt meter wire?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hardy diesel digital volt/hz gauge can connect to any 120VAC source
Yes, I understand that but if you just hook up to any 120v source you couldn't read your voltage settings on 240v single phase or 3 phase, unless I'm missing something. It seems to me of you just hooked up to a 120v source all it would ever read is 120v max and wouldn't show when you adjusted the voltage on anything except the 120v single phase setting.

Triple Jim

This might be a long shot, but the freq meter won't register until the engine speed is pretty close to 1800 RPM. Even at low frequency you can read proper voltage but without the engine being mighty close to proper speed, the freq meter won't register. Just figured you should try increasing engine speed a little to see if the meter begins to read...
Now that you mention it, that's worth looking into. When I did my low RPM regulator current test, I definitely noticed erratic meter display when well below 1800 RPM, especially with the frequency meter.

wciguy

Now that you mention it, that's worth looking into. When I did my low RPM regulator current test, I definitely noticed erratic meter display when well below 1800 RPM, especially with the frequency meter.
Hook the new digital gauge directly to the existing volt meter in your panel and it will read whichever voltage you select with the volts/current selector switch and will always read the HZ too.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave up on the OEM Hz meter and ordered one of the meters from Hardy Diesel. Took it out of the box today and found out it won't fit in the factory Hz meter hole, almost but not hardly. Looks like I'm going to have to file out the hole a little, I don't think it will be so much that I can't re-install a OEM meter if needed. What I'm planning on doing is to cut out a piece of aluminum to fill the hole and mount the meter into the aluminum.

Jimc

here is what i did with mine.
IMG_1106.jpg

that is a standard size electronics enclosure from radio shack. the hardy diesel gauge is not for outside use. its not water resistant even in the box. the face is all open and only sealed by that thin plastic face/sticker. if you cant tell mine is mounted under the control box on the back of the power dist box. i just double side taped it to the box and drilled a small hole for the wires right into the power box. everything is out of the weather this way. keep everything looking original on the outside and this is easy to glance under and check hz.