• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003 gen batt charging questions

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are your batteries good?

Keith_J

I doubt the batteries are good, the charging circuit is fairly low current capacity, to get 31 volts takes a heck of a current which would boil the electrolyte in the batteries. Perhaps this is without batteries connected? As in jump starting then disconnecting the cables?

The battery charging system is just like a motorcycle type, permanent magnet rotor and stator windings under the flywheel. The regulator clamps voltage through silicon control rectifiers which dump excess voltage to ground through power resistors which is why they produce heat and need air flow to keep the magic smoke inside the electronics.

Rapracing

I doubt the batteries are good, the charging circuit is fairly low current capacity, to get 31 volts takes a heck of a current which would boil the electrolyte in the batteries. Perhaps this is without batteries connected? As in jump starting then disconnecting the cables?

The battery charging system is just like a motorcycle type, permanent magnet rotor and stator windings under the flywheel. The regulator clamps voltage through silicon control rectifiers which dump excess voltage to ground through power resistors which is why they produce heat and need air flow to keep the magic smoke inside the electronics.
My 002 sends about 27 volts to the batteries when I start it. It builds voltage the longer it runs and peaks at 31. I verified that with my volt meter. I put new batteries on it and it still does it.

Keith_J

True RMS voltmeter? The output of the SCRs is anything but a smooth sine wave, this could play havoc with cheaper digital voltmeters. The stock battery and charging meter is pretty immune to non sine wave output, it will read true RMS.

Rapracing

True RMS voltmeter? The output of the SCRs is anything but a smooth sine wave, this could play havoc with cheaper digital voltmeters. The stock battery and charging meter is pretty immune to non sine wave output, it will read true RMS.
Yes! The onboard meter show the same thing. That is why I checked it with the meter.

Triple Jim

Good advice. I don't mean to split hairs, but I think it's likely an analog meter will read average, as opposed to RMS, unless specifically designed for RMS. In this case it probably doesn't make enough difference to matter.

CDR

I had a similar issue with my 002 filled up the Aid in the battery and now charges a 28 Volts as opposed to 31