• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 on a M105a2 chassis

two.fiveM35

I have a MEP003 without ASK and I would like to install it on a M105a2 chassis. Has anyone done this? The generator is slightly narrower that the frame of the trailer. Any input on how to mount it? My options are to bolt it down on top of the cross members of the trailer or someone suggested I bolt a sheet of steel to the top of the trailer, then bolt the generator to the steel. Any thoughts?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heavy duty hat channel is what they are attached to on the generator trailers. Just measured it, steel is .178 inch thick and the top of the hat is five inches wide. You might find someone parting out a generator trailer and get the pieces from them.

Guyfang

Staff member
Take the center of balance into account. Too far forward, raising the trailer tongue is work. Too far to the rear, you need a landing leg attached to the back of the trailer to keep it from going over backwards, especially when you are standing on the back! During Desert storm, lots of 002 and 003's got mounted to 105 trailers. TACOM, (Tank and Automotive Command) did not want to hear about, or see it. But necessity is the mother of all innovation. Lots of 105A1's had a rear landing leg when delivered; but OFTEN lost them when the leg was NOT retracted before road march. Some units even installed MEP-802's , even though you could not open the side doors wider then 30 centimeters.

Guyfang

Staff member
You could use some fenders on the thing. Makes it easier to work on, if you have to. Keeps road dirt off tje set. But on the whole, I like it!

steelandcanvas

When I installed my 003 in my 105 trailer, I set it for about 10% (about 140 pounds) of the genset weight on the front landing leg. As long as the trailer is attached to the truck, or the rear landing leg is down, I can drop the tailgate and get into the trailer without it tipping back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks