• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 runtime with 100%+ loads

Crawdaddy

I know there has been talk in numerous threads about runtime in various amounts of overloading of the MEP-002/003 generators, but after some searches using the site's search and google with the site:steelsoldiers.com string, I can't seem to find it. I used keywords like mep-003, overload, runtime, trip, etc. and I found this thread (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?61257-MEP-002A-and-003A-main-breaker) about adjusting the breaker for earlier or later trips, but nothing saying the MEP-003 was spec'd and will run at 110% for x number of hours without issue. I think Issac or Sewerzuk have had this information in the past.

I recently got to do a load test on my 003 and was able to load it all the way up to pegging the meter at 133% for several minutes with my house load where it held without issue until the generator main breaker tripped a few minutes later. My "average" load for the house was somewhere between 100-115% indicated on the meter with it dropping down to 25% or so when the a/c units kicked off. So in the end, my question is how long can I load the generator at what is my average load of 115% without cause for concern. I am aware that the 10kw rating is based on a .8 PF rating which is technically 80% on the meter. The generator is used for household backup during hurricanes.

Isaac-1

I personally would not be too concerned about running a MEP-003a at 115% rated load during occasional outages, I might feel differently if it were being used for prime power at a remote camp, etc. Part of the post rebuild testing requires that these units handle a sustained load of either 110% or 115% for I think 30 minutes or an hour, I have also read somewhere in one of the specs that up to 110% load is allowed for 1 hour out of 10 or 12 in regular use. Also in our area after a hurricane you will likely be operating in an ambient temperature well below the rated operating range for the MEP-003a which will help its real world max output since it is based on temperature rise of the windings, etc. Now you say your average load is 115%, I have to ask how you measured this, and did you do it recently? Also how high is peak load?

Ike

Crawdaddy

The house has 4 window a/c units with a rating of around 15k BTUs each. I also had the water heater, washer, and the well pump running to try to simulate a maximum load. I ran the test this past weekend so ambient temps were in the mid 70s. The load percentages I listed were observed on the panel meter on the generator itself (the center gauge on the panel). I wanted to get an amps reading, but I wasn't able to scare up a clamp meter to measure it. I never did reach the "peak" load as the generator main breaker tripped before I could pull in any more loads, but at that point the gauge was already pegged out at 133%.I know it's certainly not good to run it constantly at 133% even if the breaker did hold out, but at 115%, I think it's more reasonable.

I don't think I'd say that the generator would stay at 115% once the house cooled down since the a/c units are the main hog of power, but assuming that 2 of the a/c units will most likely be running at any given time as the house warms back up, I'd say the load wouldn't drop below 50-75% very often either. Based on what you said, I think I'm fine with the way I'll be running. She'll be loaded down most of the time giving a maximum fuel economy, avoid wet stacking (which I know isn't really an issue with the 002/003), and keep me comfortable while the storms are bearing down on us. I just can't do a load of laundry while all the a/cs are on...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks