• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 003 trailer tongue

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a AN/MJQ - 18 gen set yesterday and have a couple questions. The lunette height is it the same as a 105A1 trailer. 34 inches? Also I know everybody likes the green sets better, because the tan ones might have been in combat zones, yea mine are tan so could you guys let me know what extra things to look for before starting. Sand is one thing, but are they really that bad. I can't download the TM's on dial up, so I'll get my son to do it .

Thanks, Ron

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drain the oil and put fresh stuff in, check the air filters, change the oil filters and fuel filters. Look for sand and mud in the oil and fuel filters, dust behind the air filter. Drain the fuel tank and examine the bottom for crud. If all that is good, then it probably never went to the sandbox and can be treated just like the green ones. Read the manuals, charge or replace the batteries (or both), put fresh fuel in them, and follow the startup procedure. Remember not to idle them, but rather get them to 1800 rpm and hold there. Report back with any problems that you cannot find the answers for in the generator threads! HTH

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because they are not painted tan doesn't mean that the unit didn't go to Iraq or Afghanistan. My M116A2 mounted MEP-003A genset looked very good when I got it, painted in 3-color camo CARC. The insides of all electrical boxes and tool box were full of sand. My genset had been based in Japan and then sent to Iraq according to some papers I found in the tool box. My fuel tank was nasty but cleaned up very nice with no leaks. The engine oil appeared to be fresh and the fuel filters weren't so bad and cleaned up nicely. The genset worked perfectly.

steelypip

I would definitely go looking inside things for sand - did it on mine, in fact, even though it was apparently (and actually) clean as a whistle. Unmounting the air filter and having a good look at its insides and plumbing to the engine would seem a reasonable thing to do.

Likewise, pop the Dzuses on the control cubicle, flip the panel down and have a careful look inside for critter nests or sand. You want to do this anyway to check for things like oozing potting, cooked or frayed wires, or obviously damaged components. Mine was great, but it did benefit from a little screw tightening on some of the terminals.

As I think about how these machines work, it would seem that the cooling fan on the front of the engine might be a good sand indicator - it's a big squirrel cage blower and any significant amount of sand going over the vanes while the engine was running would probably sandblast them pretty efficiently. Can one of you folks with a genset that definitely came from the sandbox have a look at this to confirm or deny?

Another thing to be cautious of is fluids. My set was very carefully defueled and deoiled before it was sold. Nothing in the crankcase, nothing (but condensed water) in the fuel tank, and no filters anywhere. The good news was that nothing had turned to gunge in the fuel system. The bad news was that I could have put oil in the crankcase and started the set without oil or fuel filtration if I hadn't methodically looked at everything before attempting a start.

Resist temptation, be methodical, and, when in doubt, refer to the -12 TM for both what is normal and what SOP is, as it is not always intuitive.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright then! You guys make me feel better now for buying "TAN". I'll get the TM's and get at it. Pick up is next week in Letterkenny then back to Mo. Anybody know the lunette height. Is it the same as a 105A1. I towed two back from Ok. just want to be ready. Thanks

Nonotagain

I won a AN/MJQ - 18 gen set yesterday and have a couple questions. The lunette height is it the same as a 105A1 trailer. 34 inches?
Thanks, Ron
Most but not all single mounted MEP-003a generators were installed on M116 trailers not M105 trailers.

The M116 lunette height is 27+/_ 2 inches in height.

If your generator did indeed come on a M105 trailer, be advised that the trailer with generator will weigh over 4000 lbs. Without using a truck equipped with air or air over hydraulic brakes, the trailer won't have brakes which will make stopping a challenge in an emergency.

The M116 trailers almost always used surge brakes so that towing with a CUCV or civilian vehicle should not be an issue.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one from Letterkenny yesterday with two mep-3's on it. The trailer is a 1 1/2 ton, but has open sides like the 3/4 ton trailer. Event 5894 Lot 5207

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot to mention I'm towing with my 5500 Dodge. It's a 1 1/2 ton truck, but no air brakes. They are big brakes all disc, but like you said in a fast stop, it will be a moment forsure. The trailer is called a AN/MJQ-18. Total weight is 5900 pounds.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that would work good for me. I also have a 3 axle 18' flatbed with surge brakes . It's a bit pricey but when you need it, what's it worth then.

Thanks for the link, I saved it. Ron

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks