• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 utility outlet has no power....

texascadillac42

I just picked up 3 MEP-003 units (all on trailers) from a GSA auction in IL. I got the 1st of the 3 home today (wanted to get all 3 on the gooseneck trailer, but we are in the middle of a snow storm) so I just took one on a smaller trailer. It has 19XX hours on it and I paid $1000 for it.

Put 2 new batteries in it, drained the old fuel out and put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in, checked the oil and it started right up for me. The Hz gauge works and I adjusted the RPMs to get the gauge to show 60-61 Hz, both of the other gauges show nothing.

The utility outlet has no power going to it, even after resetting the circuit breaker next to it. With my voltmeter across L1 and L3 I have 115 volts, so I assume this set is at least sort of working....

What is the next step in diagnosing the lack of power at the utility outlet?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Isaac-1

I would suggest simply back tracing the wires from the outlet, many of these surplus generators don't have the outlets wired per the manual. It also does not help that a recent directive instructs that they be upgraded to GFCI outlets when rebuilt if being returned to service.

Ike

texascadillac42

Sounds good, I will head back over to the shop later and poke around on the unit a little bit. The lights have been flickering here a little bit, so I may be putting this genset to use quicker than I thought.

flyxpl

I got the desert tan one out of the same auction .Picked it up yesterday . Says on the side it runs , but I have yet to try it because of the same blizzard you are having . Picked up two 10kw gens on a trailer this morning for another SS member and pulled it home with my A3 in the snow . When you get the problem fixed let us know .

texascadillac42

Found part of the problem. The wires going to the utility outlet had been cut, so it wasn't hooked to anything. Both wires coming off of the utility outlet circuit breaker had been disconnected as well. I guess I need to dig into a wiring diagram to see what it supposed to be hooked up. Anyone know off the top of their heads?

Carl_in_NH

Download the TM; wiring diagram is in there - as well as on top of the control cubicle (although that one may be really weathered and hard to read).

3dAngus

It should all be hooked up. Just install a GCI circuit outlet.

Mine works fine. No GCI circuit either. Ran a flood lamp off of it yesterday.

texascadillac42

It should all be hooked up. Just install a GCI circuit outlet.

Mine works fine. No GCI circuit either. Ran a flood lamp off of it yesterday.
Yes I know it should all be hooked up. Problem is, none of the wires seem to be there for the outlet, and the 2 wires coming off of the breaker aren't hooked to anything, that's why I said I was going to have to look at the wiring diagram....

Looking at the manual now to see what I'm missing

texascadillac42

Wiring for the utility outlet had been tucked away under some other wires. I probed the 2 correct wires and got 120V with the unit running, so I hooked them back up the outlet, ran a new ground wire (couldn't find it anywhere) and everything on the utility outlet seems to work as it should now. Thanks for the help.

MEP utility outlet

Hello and how are you.I have two MEP 002 gensets.One running,and the other needing some help.Last night I decided to check my running unit out and found the utility recepticle was not getting any electricity.I removed the side cover and spotted two wires taped off.
I went through the fun of removing the recepticle and reattaching the wires.I didn't have a GFI recepticle to put in so I reused the Hubble recepticle.One thing however.I plugged my droplight into the socket,no light.Checked it in the house and it works fine.I then checked the recepticle again.118 volts.I decided to check it with my grinder that has a Hubble plug on it.Starts the grinder right up.Anybody else have this problem?

gasman28110

Long story short, the receptacle on mine quit working. After checking I found that the circuit breaker is bad. Any ideas where to find one? I could not find one on Saturn Surplus. Thanks in advance.

Johnny

kphall

I just cleaned my fuel tank and filters and turned over my mep-003a, it cuts out once it get going for a bit, have a leak on the secondary fuel filter gasket, still waiting for my filters to arrive, i believe this should stop it from cutting out.
The problem I'm having, when i flip the breaker up to turn on the power no of the guages go live, the breaker doesn't feel very firm when you engage it upward, could the breaker be bad? Or should i be looking at flashing the generator? and if i did how would you suggest going about this? Thanks

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you only have 120 V between L1 & L3, the switch just to the left of the circuit breaker, under the cover, is probably set at ! Phase/120V. You should be able to switch it to 1 Phase, 120V/240V. When switched to the 240V between L1 & L3. Or 120V between L1 & LO, and 120V between L3 & LO.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks