• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 003 voltage regulator

derby

Thus spring I had a power outage and fired up the Mep 003 . I have had this unit since 09' I start it and run a load or no load test on occasion. I had a voltage spike to about 190v sending a few power strips to the smoke god. The voltage output adjustment has no affect on the voltage.
I did do a search on the subject but found nothing. I did see in the classifieds a guy was selling new vr boards. I now can't find it.
Anybody have any advise or info?

jamawieb

Thus spring I had a power outage and fired up the Mep 003 . I have had this unit since 09' I start it and run a load or no load test on occasion. I had a voltage spike to about 190v sending a few power strips to the smoke god. The voltage output adjustment has no affect on the voltage.
I did do a search on the subject but found nothing. I did see in the classifieds a guy was selling new vr boards. I now can't find it.
Anybody have any advise or info?
Lakeland MEP-002A/003A AC Voltage Regulator (lakeserv.net) here is his website. I can' t remember screen name. Excellent boards! I've replaced several with his units and all have performed perfect.

Chainbreaker

Triple Jim's voltage reg board is a quality board. I have one installed and its better than OEM.

However, there are other components that can fail and cause voltage to go high. A few years ago during an outage I had a T2 transformer in control cabinet break a internal connection winding attached to its wiring screw tab and voltage shot high as you describe. Took out one of my power strips. Thought it was the VR board and replaced with the Lakeland VR board and no help but I'm glad I upgraded the VR board anyway. I later discovered the T2 transformer broken wire fault.

Don't know your troubleshooting skills but you should look at the schematic to trace the circuits involved with voltage regulation. The one with some select circuits color coded (attached below) that Guy provided is much easier to read especially when zoomed up than the one in the TM. You will find both the T1/T2 transformers on pg 2 (center section portion) of the original TM schematic. Worth checking them out and anything else in the control box on that circuit for loose wires/terminals etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

derby

Triple Jim's voltage reg board is a quality board. I have one installed and its better than OEM.

However, there are other components that can fail and cause voltage to go high. A few years ago during an outage I had a T1 transformer in control cabinet break a internal connection winding attached to its wiring screw tab and voltage shot high as you describe. Took out one of my power strips. Thought it was the VR board and replaced with the Lakeland VR board and no help but I'm glad I upgraded the VR board anyway. I later discovered the T1 transformer broken wire fault.

Don't know your troubleshooting skills but you should look at the schematic to trace the circuits involved with voltage regulation. The one with some select circuits color coded (attached below) that Guy provided is much easier to read especially when zoomed up than the one in the TM. You will find both the T1/T2 transformers on pg 2 (center section portion) of the original TM schematic. Worth checking them out and anything else in the control box on that circuit for loose wires/terminals etc.
I will look into this and get back. Thank you for the information!

Chainbreaker

Below are some notes I had saved from TM regarding testing voltage going high on MEP-003a/-002a. Hope it helps!

HIGH GENERATOR OUTPUT VOLTAGE (NO LOAD).
Step 1. Check for voltage regulator failure. Remove voltage regulator lead (wire 39C16) from terminal 17. If voltage goes even higher, the voltage regulator is good.
Test and repair defective regulator (paragraph 6-6),
Step 2. Check voltage adjust rheostat (R1).
Replace rheostat (R1) if necessary.
Step 3. Check current voltage transformer (CUTI) (paragraph 6-9b(7)).
Replace bad transformer.
Step 4. Check transformer T2 (paragraph 4-38( 15), TM 5-6115-584-12).
Replace bad transformer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks