• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003

reybo

Why not use a pump exactly like the ones on the 003A, except at the tank?
That would be elegant for sure, but these portable pumps are more convenient and easier to hook up. While the specs are certainly exaggerated, both the ebay pumps appear capable of sucking the distance and can be mounted on the trailer in easy reach of the batteries.

Perhaps most important, there's no -5AN size port on the Chinese pump. Wrangling with that s*** wasted a lot of time and took a lot of joy out of the project.

Triple Jim

I believe you can get the stock type pumps with various fittings, including NPT. I'm not trying to convince you to got that route though, since any way you go will provide good information for others who might have the same needs in the future.

Isaac-1

Yes, the stock pumps are military versions Purrolator Gold Flo pump in 24V, they also make the same pump for the civilian market in 24V, just without the inline capacitor. These pumps have either 1/8 or 1/4 inch NPT fittings depending on the exact model.

Ike

Ray70

Are you sure those flea-bay pumps will work, the "demo" unit only has a lift of 8', I thought you had to go more like 18'? Not sure on the other one, the specs sound a little confusing. 5M suction 10M lift? I thought suction and lift both meant the same thing, but I'm no pump engineer :lol: so maybe not. Also seems like a much bigger pump size and port diameter than you need. I would think a little fuel pump would be more than enough, maybe a submersible automotive "in-tank" type pump, if you can find a 24V model and just put it down inside the tank?? Otherwise there are plenty of external low pressure fuel pumps out there if you can put it close to the tank to minimize the lift height.... or would that be suction height...:confused: Or like they said, just rig up another stock Purolator or Facet type pump.

Ray

dangier

For those of you that are considering interlock kits, I have installed them on several jobs (and have passed code inspection in VA at least), but they are pricey for what they are. Found another source for about half of the cost that uses a plexiglass material for the lock. Going to install one in my house shortly. It is under the name "natramelec". They also have locks for various panel configurations. I like the red color. It makes the lock stand out for someone that is not familiar with it.
Just my experience for what it's worth....
David

Last edited:

storeman

I took a close look at the functioning of an interlock kit a friend bought and designed 2 for my 200 amp panels and 2 for my son's 200 amp panels of a different brand. Used 3/32 alum and a drill press and metal blade on a band saw.
Jerry

storeman

Pretty slick for that Square D panel. Looks like NOS for that specific panel. Design would be pretty challenging for mine, the way the main is positioned.
:grd: Thanks,
Jerry

Last edited:

dlsacco

I think ink you should recheck the NEC, IN cases where the neutral only carries the unbalanced currents from the single phase 240 legs, it is not considered a current carrying conductor for the purposes of 400-5. I can look up the paragraph if you need it, and yes it does carry current, but if you think of it, in a 240 circuit with 50 amps, each leg of the phases would carry 50 amps, if the load is balanced. If the load is imbalanced, part of the 50 amps that would have gone down the imbalanced phase, goes down the neutral instead, and the total current 2 phase legs and neutral cannot exceed the 50 amps per phase leg max, this also means the heat will not exceed that created by the ideal balanced load two conductor config..

I ran into this situation a little while ago at work about the amperage ratings of type SO power cord. You might be surprised to learn that to be up to snuff by the code amperage ratings of type SO cord you need to use a #4/4 cord for the full power rating of the MEP-003a.

Before everybody get's all up in arms about it...can you get by with #6, YES.

But to be up to code as I mentioned you need to refer to table 400-5(A) of the NEC. That table states that for portable power cables rated at 90 degree C the full load ampacity of a #6 cable with 3 current carrying conductors is only 45 amps. You need to use 3 conductors in your calculations because of the neutral on a 240 volt system. Even though it is the neutral, it still carries current (AC means alternating current so it doesn't just travel over the hot wires). You would need to step up to a #4 awg 4 conductor cable to be rated at 60 amps which will put you over the max 52 amp output of the generator.

Also, so everybody knows, I use #6/4 for my generator hook-up.

steelypip

Pretty slick for that Square D panel. Looks like NOS for that specific panel. Design would be pretty challenging for mine, the way the main is positioned.
:grd: Thanks,
Jerry
Yes, I was in the same boat - I have an old (1965) Square D 200A panel with the vertical main breaker and horizontal load breakers. I'd only seen the expensive option until dangier's post. I was thinking about just fabricating my own, but their price is low enough that I'll probably just buy it - the fidget factor of getting all the measurements just right on such an odd panel is worth paying somebody a few bucks for one.

Thanks to all y'all for these posts!

Chainbreaker

For those of you that are considering interlock kits, I have installed them on several jobs (and have passed code inspection in VA at least), but they are pricey for what they are. Found another source for about half of the cost that uses a plexiglass material for the lock. Going to install one in my house shortly. It is under the name "natramelec". They also have locks for various panel configurations. I like the red color. It makes the lock stand out for someone that is not familiar with it.
Just my experience for what it's worth....
David
FYI - Here is a picture of the Natramelec interlock I installed on my Barn/Shop panel:

WP_20131015_009.jpg

It was a very easy install. They even include the necessary drill bit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks