• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A at JAX DRMO

andytk5

Looking to pickup one of these or two if the prices are right. I was watching a group of them last auction but had to leave an missed the ending prices. Anybody know what these guys usually go for? Most of the ones that went that round were low hours from 4hrs-50hrs and looked really nice.

Looking to make it a backup for the house, and whatever else:razz:.. Read through that post about the house hookup and looks pretty doable.

Isaac-1

Around here plain good looking low hour count MEP-003's on GL have been going for over $2,000 most of the time for the last couple of years, 3 or 4 years ago they typically sold for half this price, of course there is always the odd one now and then that will sell for much more or less..

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People have discovered how great those MEP-003A units are, and the prices have gone up accordingly. That being said, some of the good looking units at GL aren't so good if you go check them out before bidding. I would definitley preview befor bidding. I previewed almost 40 MEP-003A gensets once at one auction. Most looked great in the photos. Only two were worth bidding on as potentially good working units in my opinion and they went for crazy high prices. Most of the rest were missing pieces or were thoroughly rusted and corroded. Other auctions have had some very nice units. I was lucky in that I found a very nice low hour unit that was only missing the batteries, started right up and cost about half what they seem to be going for now.

storeman

MEP-003a about $2,000. 002a's as high as $1,900 recently. With current societal concerns, I don't see the prices retreating. Ditto on pre-inspection. Out west they seem to be cheaper.
Jerry

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you have to take a chance with the ones that look a little rougher. I just picked up a MEP002 that was missing the filter canisters (Thanks Jerry!) and the fuel pumps were hanging loose. I replaced the missing pieces, tightened up the pumps, new filters/oil, and it fired right up. I paid $500 for it. At that price I figured I had a lot of decent parts if it didn't work (new fuel tank and new air cleaner assy). Of course with the extra parts I had to buy, GL fees and taxes, and filters/oil I've got $700 in it now but I also have a buyer at $1200 so made enough to go out and try again with a lot less to lose on the next one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always look at the GL site, closed auctions, ending prices. Youneed to know the Event and Lot numbers.

andytk5

Thanks for all the great responses about the Gensets.

For 10kw it would be a perfect back up set. I am lucky enough that previewing is just a matter of running across town. They had a ton of them run through a while back and as of now only one with much higher hours and looks rough. Hopefully they get more.

Are these like the deuces where gauging the life left in the unit by the number of hours on it is somewhat useless? If the unit has 0-500 hrs is that ok, or is over a certain number a no go?
Thanks

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these like the deuces where gauging the life left in the unit by the number of hours on it is somewhat useless? If the unit has 0-500 hrs is that ok, or is over a certain number a no go?
My personal 003 has 3300 hours on it. I'm not worried a bit about it lasting my full lifetime and I think I've got at least 20+ years left.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks
I would be more likely to believe the Hobbs with higher hours than with low hours. I've seen a lot of units with very low hours, that look like they have been used and abused for years. I've also seen units with a fairly high number of hours that look almost new.

Isaac-1

The hour meters are primarily used for service intervals, if one stops working it gets replaced, so low hours does not always mean a full reset. These units have a 5,000 hour issuable service life between rebuilds (3,000 hours on the 3600 rpm MEP-016 series) meaning expected life is somewhat more as it is considered ok by the book to deploy a unit with 4,999 hours. When I am looking at units with low hours showing, I look at the screws on the meters, new screws on the hour meter, and old screws on the other meters likely means hour meter change, new or old rusted screws on all is more likely to mean low hour rebuild or old low hour rebuild.

Ike

storeman

Sometimes you have to take a chance with the ones that look a little rougher. I just picked up a MEP002 that was missing the filter canisters (Thanks Jerry!) and the fuel pumps were hanging loose. I replaced the missing pieces, tightened up the pumps, new filters/oil, and it fired right up. I paid $500 for it. At that price I figured I had a lot of decent parts if it didn't work (new fuel tank and new air cleaner assy). Of course with the extra parts I had to buy, GL fees and taxes, and filters/oil I've got $700 in it now but I also have a buyer at $1200 so made enough to go out and try again with a lot less to lose on the next one.
Well done!
Jerry :beer:

storeman

I would be more likely to believe the Hobbs with higher hours than with low hours. I've seen a lot of units with very low hours, that look like they have been used and abused for years. I've also seen units with a fairly high number of hours that look almost new.
Gary,
You are soooo right. First one I bought 15 months ago was 002a from the Newcastle, DE WETS site with "10" hours on it. Pre-inspection was not an option then. I am parting it out now but have sure learned a heck of a lot about generators in the past 15 months thanks to many of you on this great board.

Same with the MEP 003a I am parting out as it was at a Ft Jackson, SC WETS site and too inconvenient to pre-inspect. At least I was buying it as a parts unit.

Pre-inspection is mandatory now, but does not catch everything.

Jerry :beer::beer:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand your shop is pretty useful for clutches, etc.
Not only that but we took in a wayward MEP002 for another SS member. I was able to do enough to get it to start but not stay running and then Keith was able to diagnose a broken ground wire solder (which I never would have found) in the cannon plug next to the IP. The unit now runs great! That one we did for free. Future ones we're going to need to at least get lunch out of.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks