• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A center of gravity

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't have a manual for my 10 KW diesel genset. Can anyone help me with information about the MEP-003A genset's center of gravity location? I need to mount my genset to a trailer, and it would help knowing where the balance point is over the axle.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Does the 003A have a single lifting point? You can reasonably deduce that the C.o.G. of the genset is near that lifting point.

Also the transport guidance TM has C.o.G. info for trucks & trailers though I'm not sure if they have info for equipment that small.

Your looking to have the right amount of tonque weight I'm assuming?

EO2NMCB

There is a lift ring on the mep003, that I belive if you were to use it, should be about the center of gravity. I do know that the base of a cherry picker is not wide nuff to clear the skid of the mep 003.

Carl_in_NH

I've picked my MEP-003A up by the lift ring using a chain on the bucket of my tractor several times; It's close enough to the CG for most applications. Note that adding the battery weight will shift the CG significantly. It's well balanced without the battery weight at the lift ring.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you pick it up by the lift ring which is right by the air cleaner housing, it will be a little "Front" heavy...engine side will be a little heavier. The TM section for installing the ASK lists the control panel as the rear of the set.

But back to your original question, depending on how you plan to mount it in the trailer, the engine side will be slightly heavier, using the lifting ring as your COG.

Boatcarpenter

Put it on the trailer approximately where you think it should go. Check tongue weight. Move accordingly until you are happy with the tongue weight and fasten her down.
Very simple real world solution.
BC

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I lifted my MEP 003a, with my bob cat by, the ring, with a full tank and 2 batteries. It was pretty level. I lifted one without the batteries and it only had 5 gallons of fuel. It too sat level but was about 1" lower on the end with the fan. I would say for all intensive purposes the closer you get the ring under the axle the better you are.Several inches toward the rear may make lifting it easier to get onto the hitch if you had to.. That would be with the fan towards the tongue.

Last edited:

3dAngus

The center of gravity is basically in the center, or at the lift eye. Slight variances depending on batteries or fuel, but it all balances out for the most part, unless you have no batteries, and a full tank of fuel. Even so, if it is the only thing on the trailer, you are going to be reasonably safe to simple center it over the axle and it ain't gonna make a hill o beans either way.

Dry Weight of MEP-003 is about 1220 pounds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks