• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Electrical wiring info needed. Cut wires.

tviles

Bought MEP-003a from Fort Riley GL 2607 hours. Has about 5 cut wires. Let's start with just one on the starter negative post. I put a red wire on it now to show location. Next picture shows a connector with a cut wire. Is this P1 Plug? Pin that ohms to outside cut is R. I have the TM's for the 003 but am new to this and if I can get one figured out I should be able to get the others. Well maybe.

Correction cannon plug in picture in hand is J2-R so where does J2 pin R go?

Thank you.SAM_0322.JPG20170606_192751.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Keep in mind, J= junction, the side of the connection attached to the control panel. And P= Plug, the thing in your hand. So are you wanting to know about the pin R of the Plug, or Junction?

Wire number G52J12, goes from P2-R to P3-B

Wire number H52H12, goes from J2-r to TB4-8

tviles

Plug. OK so if P2-R goes to P3-B I am still in left field. Meaning it does not go to that negative post on the starter where I have attached the red wire. Because it would not be another connector but a terminal or possibly B1 for starter? Now let me look at TM for meaning of TB. I will see if I can find TB4-8

tviles

SAM_0323.jpg

OK if I am holding P3 in my hand you have figured out one for me.

Some of my connectors still have the P tags on them, some don't.
P2-R will go to this P3-B with a new wire. Going to use 10 gauge white. Should be 12 but I all have is some new stranded 10 gauge oil resistant wire.

Guyfang

Staff member
OK Partner, stop whining now. It needed to be fixed anyway. Sooner or later you would have had to fix it. AND, this gives me the chance to get you up to speed on wiring. So you can figure it out when it's 02:00 in the morning, lights are out and there is no one to call.

Get the -34 manual out. You might want to think about printing the schematics and wire diagrams out, and covering them in plastic. The schematics are in the -12 manual also, but I think the -34 schematics are easier to read. The printing is better. Also, there is more detailed wire diagrams in the -34.

I am going to walk you through this a time or two.

So you want to know where a wire goes from any pin in the P2 plug, (or any other plug on the generator wire harness). You can look at the schematics, starting on page 1-9. But unless you are able to understand them, they will drive you crazy. So, you can go to page 6-6. It shows you a drawing of the gen set wiring harness. And you can see P2 is part of it. Look above the drawing, and you see a listing of wires, what pins the wires start from, and what places they go to. Wire G52J12 goes from P2-R, to P3-B. Simple.

So you want to find out where a wire goes in the control panel? That would be J2 (for instance). As in the above example, the schematics can be bedeviling. So go to page 6-2. It shows you a picture of the control panel wire harness. The list next to it, shows you what wire goes from J2-r, (for example) to what component in the control panel. TB-4-8. And if you look at TB4-8, you will be able to confirm what the listing shows you, wire number H52H. Do not worry about the last two numbers on a wire number shown on the list, not being on the drawing of TB4-8. It only tells you what gage the wire is. In this case, 12 gage. Simple.

Now, why don't you try this out. The wire to the neg side of the starter. Look at page 6-6. Its the gen set wire harness. I will give you this hint. The starter, is, (on the schematic) called B1. You are looking for a wire hooked to B1-, (negative). What wire number should it be, and where does it go?

Oh, TB means Terminal Board. Look into the control panel, and you will find that all the components have something written next to them. For example, TB4, or A1

tviles

This is where my power comes from at 2am. I am busy working on your / my homework problem now. I did not want the answer I wanted it just like you wrote. I won't learn anything if you give me the answer. I just needed some help.

SAM_0324.jpgSAM_0325.jpg

I am looking at -34 now which is much more clear. I will put it on a flash drive and print it somewhere. But not here at home.

tviles

SAM_0327.jpg

OK I have an answer. Wire is P55B10 Wire comes from P1-C going to B1-K6. Picture shows P1 connector I took apart and found wires C and D cut.

I still need to find out what K6 means, but I am working on that. So how did I do Coach?

Guyfang

Staff member
Super good! After looking at your power room, I gather that you are a more advanced student then most. After you take a gander at the schematic in the TM's, you will be on easy street. Your wire harnes has seen better days, but still serviceable. I have seen way worse. But by all means, give it a good going over. One has to wonder, just why people cut wires out of a harnes.

Take your time, trust nothing, check everything. Whenever I had to work on such a "Wonder Box", ( this sounds so much better in German ) I tended to simply start at one end, and work to the other. Fix everything, one problem at a time. It might take a bit longer, but you KNOW it is good when you are done.

Keep us informed.

Guy

tviles

Got my electrical wires put back together and nothing, no lights, no clicks, na da when I turn master switch. Same as before I started electrical wire repairs. If I short starter motor it cranks motor but I still don't have fuel tank on due to painting it and summer house repairs. 20170630_183758.jpgIs FU1 supposed to be in this picture somewhere? Check troubleshooting in TM but could not find electrical issues.

Guyfang

Staff member
If FU1 is on your schematics, you are looking at the wrong schematics.

Find the K2 and K3 relays in the control cube. Do you have 24 volts to them? Don't check the coil, check the load side.

By no lights, do you mean no panel lights? Did you check that the bulbs are good? Did you check to see if you had voltage to the sockets, with the switch is on?

K1 is a small relay on the A1. Have you tested it? Procedure is in the book. Do you have 24 volts to the A1? Pins 1&2 are for the K1 relay coil, if I remember right. P66E should be the wire number for A1-pin 1. Is the A1 hooked up right?

Take a wire with two roach clips on it, and jump from TB5-8, to TB5-9. This jumps the safety switches, S4 and S5.

tviles

Yes I found CB1 and CB2, CB2 what was left of it, jumped it and now I have panel lights, pre heat and etc. Working on fuel tank now. It is cranking from master switch now. Hey I just had to whine a bit, get some sleep and I am back at it again. More later, but thanks for the post I come back and reread what you type a lot.

Last edited:

tviles

Wow what a great day, generator started and ran! Even lit up a light bulb plugged into the 120 volt outlet. Stuff I have to fix is generator runs if I hold S1 in start position, shuts off when I let go. Going to have new throttle cable made, replace bypassed CB2 and trouble shoot why I am only getting 9 VAC from the stator. I don't care did I say it ran today!

20170701_191139.jpg

Also found out if you take off the slave cables, the fuel pump doesn't work. Worked again by putting the ground cable only back on. Guy don't trouble shoot for me, let me try first.
Going back to easy stuff for awhile like painting, and parts replacement.
Did I say it ran today !!!!

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, I won't troubleshoot. But I will suggest something. You're hot now, and that's good!

Prioritize. Then work one problem at a time.

List what doesn't work, on a piece of paper. Look at your list, and see if maybe fixing one main problem, might fix one or more other problems.

You're on track.

tviles

Imjp8

I got IMJP8 set in place today and wanted to give thanks for all the help. Mainly Guy and Triple Jim. It was fun running the central air today. I am researching black diesel and bio diesel. I have a tarp for it also. New starter comes in next week. Jim your parts works flawlessly and are very high quality. Guy you were tough but I loved it.
Tracy
20170811_180946.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
That's what it's all about. People helping people. Learning. Growing. Sharing. I know it's important for you to get your set running right. But for me, it's also important that you learn, grow and hopefully share. We can walk almost anyone through the troubleshooting steps. But that won't help them at 02:30 and the lights are out. You now feel confident enough to jump in and try to work it out yourself. That's what really important, or for me anyway.

Take care, stay safe and will shout at you later!

Triple Jim

Thank you Tracy, I'm glad you got things up and running. And you're right, it's fun when you can run big loads like an air conditioning system with one of these.