• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003a first power run and concerns

TucsonVTXF

just did my first run under load. I can run my whole house including the AC and the mep is only running at 50 percent load so I have plenty of power!! my concern is that it sounds like I have a miss under load and I an getting blue smoke from the back exhaust. the exhaust temp was 198 on the front exhaust and 240 on the back. would one think that I have a bad injector? broken rings? my oil pressure is 40 psi when warm and under no load I have no miss or blue smoke... I do not have a compression tester....

dependable

Could be a clogged injector or stuck rings, since it seems to be running OK, maybe let it run for a while under load and add some injector cleaner to fuel. If it does not clear up, perhaps have Storman rebuild/test injectors.

jamawieb

Sounds like an injector, possibly not popping at the right PSI or not at all. I agree, have storeman test and fix it for you. He does a great job and very fast shipping.

TucsonVTXF

I do need to add I was also getting black smoke from both mufflers along with blue from the back at 50 percent load... I have put 2-3 hours total on the unit unloaded since regeneration with no indication of bad rings.... the fuel system was flushed and a diesel fuel conditioner/ injector cleaner was added.. I know its not run long enough for a fuel cleaner to of worked but I didn't want to hurt the unit when I was seeing blue smoke... it was acting like a cylinder wasn't getting fuel for the misfire but the blue smoke concerned me.. maybe I need to add a lil jet fuel to get the btus up and help clean it out.. update... put about a quart of amsoil atf in the tank and will re try another power run an see how it goes!

Last edited:

TucsonVTXF

ran today for about 45 mins at 25-50 percent load and the smoking went away, all 4 cylinders are working according to the temp probe. I am getting what sounds like sputtering sound but I am making power, looks like I am going to pull the injectors and get them worked over...

Jimc

definitely remove all 4 of them and have them gone through. i thought mine was running great too until jerry did them. when i got them back it was a totally different generator. there are 3 gaskets per injector you will need when you put them back in.

TucsonVTXF

just pulled all 4 tonight to get them worked and ordered the 3 gaskets from sears parts direct now the waiting begins!!!!!

definitely remove all 4 of them and have them gone through. i thought mine was running great too until jerry did them. when i got them back it was a totally different generator. there are 3 gaskets per injector you will need when you put them back in.

Isaac-1

If your talking about the copper gaskets, they can generally be reused a few times, you just have re-anneal them to do so string them on a steel wire and heat them until they glow a dull red by fanning them with a propane torch, it only takes a few seconds, then allow them to air cool for a few minutes before handling.

Ike

TucsonVTXF

I am slowly working the unit and getting it right for hopefully in 2 years I will be living in power outage country so I ordered all new gaskets and trying tune it in... my unit wasn't treated right in life so I am hoping with a lil TLC it wont let me down..

Triple Jim

Right, Issac. From my 2-stroke motorcycle experience I've learned that dunking the red-hot copper gasket in water will flake off most of the black oxide, which really ought to be removed before reusing. A little steel wooling will get the rest, but try not to flex the gasket while you're doing it or it will start to get hard again.

Munchies

I am slowly working the unit and getting it right for hopefully in 2 years I will be living in power outage country so I ordered all new gaskets and trying tune it in... my unit wasn't treated right in life so I am hoping with a lil TLC it wont let me down..
I have a friend out off of colossal cave rd on the mountain there that looses power A LOT...

TucsonVTXF

I have a friend out off of colossal cave rd on the mountain there that looses power A LOT...
that part of Vail doesn't even have power so generators and solar/wind are the only options..... just got a repair report of my injectors. one was popping at 1600 2 were about 1100 and one not at all so a new fuel nozzle was installed and set to 1750psi... now waiting on new gaskets to arrive and we will see how it runs!!!!!!!

Jimc

thats about how mine were. i got em back and it was a night and day difference. the power it had when i got them back was unbelievable. i can peg my gauge at over 135% and it doesnt even phase the engine. before it would smoke and start to stall at 85-90%.

storeman

I was contacted this week by a fellow looking for a replacement MEP starter. He works in Taos, NM and says the 003a is one of their primary power sources, wherever he lives out from Taos.
Challenging way to live!
Jerry :grd:

Last edited:

robkiller

If your talking about the copper gaskets, they can generally be reused a few times, you just have re-anneal them to do so string them on a steel wire and heat them until they glow a dull red by fanning them with a propane torch, it only takes a few seconds, then allow them to air cool for a few minutes before handling.

Ike
Thanks for this info I am looking at trying to use my old gaskets. I will see how this works.

TucsonVTXF

I have all 3 gaskets on order for each cylinder and will hold off until they arrive I want to make sure I have no leaks that could cause low compression.

Munchies

Make sure to use some anti sieze on the steel injector sleeve. The collar that holds the nozzle to the body. It sticks like **** to the aluminum heat sink, it really makes dis-assembly nice.. Also the OD of the aluminum heatsink

TucsonVTXF

looks like Ambac, WMR2041/7X, Copper Washer, 0.562" Hole Dia. - is a part number for the copper washer. I was able to buy a pack of 25 off the big auction site for 12.00 I will measure the outside dia. and post the results when they arrive...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks