• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003a fuel filter help.

Sazabizc

Hello all, I'm new to this site. I have a 86 model mep-003a and to make a long story short it sat a while and the tank rusted plugged one of the pumps and got into the fist fuel strainer. I got the tank cleaned and lined with red-kote and the pumps cleaned out and working . thankfully the strainer and filters did there job, very little rust in the second filter, none in the 3rd. I was cleaning them out to day. and noticed that this site said napa gold 3113 should work. well unfortunately for me they don't. its maybe 1/4 inch to short just eye balling it next to the filter that was in it. no matter how tight i get the screw on top, the gasket on the top of the filter never seals. Green mountain generator list a fram fuel liter and i cross it over and get the wix 3113. Do these generators have different filters?

Attachments

Dock Rocker

I am not much help with the factory filters but I would suggest you do yourself a huge favor and switch the filters for modern spin on filters and separators. That makes servicing them so much easier.

There are several how to threads. I did it and it was very easy and has survived 300 plus hours of run time. I change my filters more often because they are cheap and easy to service.

I even went with a spin on oil filter. They are available in the classifieds as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sazabizc

I am not much help with the factory filters but I would suggest you do yourself a huge favor and switch the filters for modern spin on filters and separators. That makes servicing them so much easier.

There are several how to threads. I did it and it was very easy and has survived 300 plus hours of run time. I change my filters more often because they are cheap and easy to service.

I even went with a spin on oil filter. They are available in the classifieds as well.

Yeah I saw green mountain generator sold a kit to convert the filters to a spin on type. Only problem I saw with there kit . Was they listed the in and out lets were 1/2 ntp . I’m pretty sure mine are 1/4 . Or at lest the line on the fuel pump was . https://greenmountaingenerators.com...or-fuel-filter-and-water-separator-wix-24770/

Sazabizc

Welp not looking good on the fuel filters . Both wix and Donaldson don’t make a filter that would work. Still waiting on Baldwin filters .

Looks like l make have to do the spin on fuel filter conversion . I found a few of the filters . They looked like old stock and were 50$ each .

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you source FRAM C1125PL locally? I believe thats what I bought for the last round of air cooled machines I went through. Like $10 on Amazon if you can't find them locally.

Dock Rocker

Yeah I saw green mountain generator sold a kit to convert the filters to a spin on type. Only problem I saw with there kit . Was they listed the in and out lets were 1/2 ntp . I’m pretty sure mine are 1/4 . Or at lest the line on the fuel pump was . https://greenmountaingenerators.com...or-fuel-filter-and-water-separator-wix-24770/
I just put my one system together. It’s just filter bases from amazon and a few fittings. I used the factory hoses to link them together.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The correct filter for the MEP003A is FRAM CH6PL. At least that is what was in mine when received from the military. I've been buying them on E-bay real cheap. However, I've bought several on E-bay that didn't include the O-rings/seals. I currently have a case of them. They are quite easy to replace, but a little messy.

Last edited:

Sazabizc

Can you source FRAM C1125PL locally? I believe thats what I bought for the last round of air cooled machines I went through. Like $10 on Amazon if you can't find them locally.
The part number you listed is the one I tried, doesn't fit its to small, I don't have the fram one but crossed it over to napa/wix. shouldn't make a difference . gasket never seals on the top cause its to short. see the attached pics.

The correct filter for the MEP003A is CH6PL. At least that is what was in mine when received from the military. I've been buying them on E-bay real cheap. However, I've bought several on E-bay that didn't include the O-rings/seals. I currently have a case of them. They are quite easy to replace, but a little messy.
Part number you listed is for the oil filter. I need the fuel.

I just put my one system together. It’s just filter bases from amazon and a few fittings. I used the factory hoses to link them together.

Ive seen those filter bases. How did you mount it to the generator?

I did manage to find a fuel filter. its the same thing that mine has , only difference I see is the paper wrap around it is red, mine was light brown.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you missing the parts that go under the filter element?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I removed the link you posted to an active Ebay item(against the rules).

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I don't know what to tell you then... that filters its in all the 002/003s Ive had through. Its an old design though... if this is a machine for your use, I would convert over to the spin filters on both fuel and oil and not only have more convenient serviceability, but also better filtering with modern technology.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you compare the parts in your filter housing to what is shown in the parts TM.

I would guess someone changed a part or two to accommodate a different filter element.

Perhaps you can simply shim up your spring to make what you have work.

Guyfang

Staff member
The part number you listed is the one I tried, doesn't fit its to small, I don't have the fram one but crossed it over to napa/wix. shouldn't make a difference . gasket never seals on the top cause its to short. see the attached pics.

Part number you listed is for the oil filter. I need the fuel.

Ive seen those filter bases. How did you mount it to the generator?

I did manage to find a fuel filter. its the same thing that mine has , only difference I see is the paper wrap around it is red, mine was light brown.
The smaller filter shown here, is an oil filter for the 3KW gen set.
I can remember at least 5 different fuel filters for the 003A. 2 were made of paper, the other 3 from metal.
I looked up the NSN and there are 19 supplies of this filter to the Gov. There are about 20 different part numbers and about 11 different NSN's.

I plugged in the NSN: 2910- 00-287-1930 and found them in the big auction site.

Sazabizc

Well I don't know what to tell you then... that filters its in all the 002/003s Ive had through. Its an old design though... if this is a machine for your use, I would convert over to the spin filters on both fuel and oil and not only have more convenient serviceability, but also better filtering with modern technology.
Yeah I will probably have to do that. only issue is, how to mount the spin_on filter base to the generator.

I suggest you compare the parts in your filter housing to what is shown in the parts TM.

I would guess someone changed a part or two to accommodate a different filter element.

Perhaps you can simply shim up your spring to make what you have work.
I'll look into that. doing some research on line, looks like this filter also works with a Phantom F-40NAircraft, Tomcat F-44FCargo and a Diesel Submarine! so If I can find any of those I can steal the filters off them ROTFL

[/QUOTE]
The smaller filter shown here, is an oil filter for the 3KW gen set.
I can remember at least 5 different fuel filters for the 003A. 2 were made of paper, the other 3 from metal.
I looked up the NSN and there are 19 supplies of this filter to the Gov. There are about 20 different part numbers and about 11 different NSN's.

I plugged in the NSN: 2910- 00-287-1930 and found them in the big auction site.
Wonderful, nothing can be simple it seems . Did manage to find the filter for 30$ on sabilymarket.com looks like old stock the box looks like its old and has mold on it . but the filter is in a sealed bag and looks good.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just dismount all of the military can fittings, and mount the new spin on bases right to the angle iron used for the framing there. Here is a video someone made of their setup (not the highest quality, but you will get the idea)

Ray70

I have used both the Fram C1125PL ( perfect fit ) and the Wix / NAPA 3113 and the only thing I know is that the housing is made by Fram and the C1125PL fits perfect. I buy them from Rock Auto .com
The Wix / Napa fit, but if the rod in the center of your canister still has the little 3 winged metal part that centers the filter you have to remove it to use the Wix / Napa. Also, make sure you have the spring in the bottom of the canister too.
These days I just go with the Fram. perfect fit every time, simple and easy.

Sazabizc

There is a member here who make a spin on filter kit. Simple, easy to use. Look in the for sale listings.
I'll look into that thanks. dont supose you know his screen name?

Just dismount all of the military can fittings, and mount the new spin on bases right to the angle iron used for the framing there. Here is a video someone made of their setup (not the highest quality, but you will get the idea)

Yeah I saw that video. I'll have to look at the filter mounts closer .

I have used both the Fram C1125PL ( perfect fit ) and the Wix / NAPA 3113 and the only thing I know is that the housing is made by Fram and the C1125PL fits perfect. I buy them from Rock Auto .com
The Wix / Napa fit, but if the rod in the center of your canister still has the little 3 winged metal part that centers the filter you have to remove it to use the Wix / Napa. Also, make sure you have the spring in the bottom of the canister too.
These days I just go with the Fram. perfect fit every time, simple and easy.
Well I used C1125PL part number to cross over the wix/napa filter. But looking at the pics of the filter it sure does look like it would fit. its also taller then the wix filter so it might just seal. acording to rockauto its 3.813 inches tall, the wix is 3.5. might just have to buy one and see if it will work. One of the filter canisters 3 winged metal part and one didn't, they both had the spring load part on the bottom and both seemed to move freely .

cuad4u

Several MEP 002A and 003A generators I bought at auction had the three military fuel filter assemblies completely missing. Amazon, NAPA, and ebay offer two section diesel fuel filter assemblies for less than $30. One filter section is for water removal (that section has a clear glass bowl so you can see if water is present) and the second filter section is for solids removal. The whole assembly will mount on the rail where the military fuel assembly was mounted. I added a 5/16 inch brass hose barb fitting on the output of the fuel pump and another 5/16 inch hose barb on the input of the two filter assembly. Ditto on the output of the fuel filter assembly and on the input of the inject pump. I installed 5/16 inch fuel hose from NAPA and hose clamps on each end. Unless you use VERY dirty fuel, this will work great. The fuel filters are easily removed for replacement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks