• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003a fuel filter help.

Sazabizc

Several MEP 002A and 003A generators I bought at auction had the three military fuel filter assemblies completely missing. Amazon, NAPA, and ebay offer two section diesel fuel filter assemblies for less than $30. One filter section is for water removal (that section has a clear glass bowl so you can see if water is present) and the second filter section is for solids removal. The whole assembly will mount on the rail where the military fuel assembly was mounted. I added a 5/16 inch brass hose barb fitting on the output of the fuel pump and another 5/16 inch hose barb on the input of the two filter assembly. Ditto on the output of the fuel filter assembly and on the input of the inject pump. I installed 5/16 inch fuel hose from NAPA and hose clamps on each end. Unless you use VERY dirty fuel, this will work great. The fuel filters are easily removed for replacement.
That’s cool sounds like a nice set up, sounds like I was lucky to have all my fuel filter canisters intact . I even had that bazaar fuel strainer in the first filter that’s so hard to come buy. I’ve found a fuel filter mount off eBay that has two spots for a filter/water separator. What’s nice it’s a conman thread pitch to. In fact it’s the same thread pitch as my airdog fuel pump on my truck so I can buy the same filters if needed . Fuel filter on my air dog is a 3 Micron absolute filter with a Baldwin fs 1275 . Only downside it seems that all these fuel filter bases are 1/2 ntp . Fittings on the generator are 1/4 ntp. Not a big deal I can alway use a bushing . But I’d rather not if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
I like that. It was one of my few complaints about this set. I always wanted to be able to SEE, what the fuel looked like. And if water or dirt is present. In fact, the army fuel filters were very good. No complaints. Just the fact that I had to use the pet-cock to draw fuel to check bothered me.

Sazabizc

Yeah my army filters did a good job of keeping the rust and scale from getting to the pump and injectors. I’ve thought about using a marine grade fuel filter like racor, one with a clear blow on it so you can see if there’s anything in it. Then drain them .

Dock Rocker

Spin on oils filter info.

View attachment 788431

MEP-002a and MEP-003a Spin-on Oil Filter

jamawieb

They use Fram c1125pl filters. On some units you can still see the decal for the fram part number stenciled on the filter housing. Wix and napa are a little shorter. Order off rockauto.

Sazabizc

Spin on oils filter info.

View attachment 788431

MEP-002a and MEP-003a Spin-on Oil Filter

I cant view the attachment, says I don't have permission.
The link works , thats a nice kit he has.

They use Fram c1125pl filters. On some units you can still see the decal for the fram part number stenciled on the filter housing. Wix and napa are a little shorter. Order off rockauto.
Yeah mine has fram on it and what looked like a part number . hard to read it, the generator was originally army green. then someone painted it desert tan. I'll look at it closer when it warms up. Its 21 F out and spitting snow right now.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to go through the effort to do a fuel filter modification, your money is also best spent getting a spin on oil filter adapter for the set. You can better filtration with modern filters, and much easier oil changes to boot!

Sazabizc

So Sazabicz, all you need to do is send him a PM and ask.
10-4

If you are going to go through the effort to do a fuel filter modification, your money is also best spent getting a spin on oil filter adapter for the set. You can better filtration with modern filters, and much easier oil changes to boot!
Yeah I’m going to look into that .

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The unit that I just installed came from the big auction site... if you search 'ONAN Military MEP-002A MEP-003A Spin On Cartridge Oil Filter Adapter Generator ' it should bring you right to it. Will see if I can snap a picture after work of it installed with a Wix filter in place.

Sazabizc

The unit that I just installed came from the big auction site... if you search 'ONAN Military MEP-002A MEP-003A Spin On Cartridge Oil Filter Adapter Generator ' it should bring you right to it. Will see if I can snap a picture after work of it installed with a Wix filter in place.
eBay and green mountain generator has then oil filter conversion.

A listing on eBay popped up the other day . It was a filter just like the one that came out of my generator. I took a chance and bought one . Sure enough it’s the same thing ,It fit perfectly. They are only 3.89$ so might buy a cupule and use it since it works . Give me more time to think over how I will convert the to the spin on filters .

Sturgis7754

Hello Sazabizc, your thried has been informative for me, as I to am working on an 003. One thing you mentioned in the first part was how you had cleaned and coated tank with red coat. Would you elaborate on that procedure? Thank you Sturgis7754

Chainbreaker

Hello Sazabizc, your thried has been informative for me, as I to am working on an 003. One thing you mentioned in the first part was how you had cleaned and coated tank with red coat. Would you elaborate on that procedure? Thank you Sturgis7754
There are varying degrees of tank cleaning. If you have rust there are multiple ways to remove it... Electrolysis method, chemical, or tumbling the tank with a media inside that will physically dislodge the rust down to metal (gravel, coarse sand and even nuts & bolts have been used). If the tank doesn't have rust but has a crud buildup you could take it to a radiator shop and have them professionally clean it or DIY it. As a last step before using the Red Kote I would flush it out good with Acetone and let it dry.

I have a can of Red Kote that I have not used yet as its still on my To Do list to pull one of my fuel tanks and use it. In reading the Red Kote literature you must make absolutely sure any diesel residue is 100% removed as it contains paraffin which Red Kote will not adhere to.

Sazabizc

Well I’m almost ashamed to admit this . But I had a shop do it . They weren’t to far away and were a very good price . My tank had a lot of rust in the bottom so much so the drain was plugged. What they did they put the tank in a acid tank bath that heats it up and let it set all weekend. Then they used red-kote to line it . They also for 25$ more put a rhino liner on the out side . I was very pleased with there work.

How I was going to do it before I found out about the radiator/gas tank shop. I was going to fill the tank with vinegar or muriatic acid and let it eat at it . I’ve also saw a video were these guys used works toilet cleaner. It has Hydrochloric acid in it .
I’ve heard of using nuts and blots and even bbs and just shacking the tank around . But what I noticed is my tank had baffles in it and I didn’t fill like nuts or blots or bbs would get past them very well, or if they did how could I be sure I got them all out ? So if it were me, I would use a acid. I used muriatic acid in the 3 fuel filter canisters. Eat the rust off very well , just becareful it is a acid and it doesn’t like aluminum. It will react to aluminum . My uncle that’s owns a Machine shop chucked the tank off his dump truck in one of his lathes , put Gravel in it from his parking lot and let it tumble around lol . He said it worked .

Fuel strainer was rusted stuck in the take. I had to pull it out with pliers and work it back and forth for 5 minutes before it would come out .

That Diesel was died red not rust red.

After the shop cleaned and lined it with red kote

Fuel strainer

Fuel fitting with rust in it .

After soaking in muriatic acid.

First fuel canister. I forgot to get a before picture, but it was so full of rust and scale I could scrap it off with my fingers . Thankfully the fuel pre screen filter did it’s job. Very little rust in the second filter and no in the 3rd. I really dodged a bullet. I soaked the per screen filter in vinegar. I wasn’t sure what it was made out of and didn’t want the muriatic acid to damage it.

One of the fuel pumps was jammed with crap from the tank. It wouldn’t work unless I pushed compressed air in it . What I did to both pumps is let them suck in a 50/50 mix of Diesel and transmission fluid. Transmission fluid has a lot of detergents and rust fighting additives in it . I pushed the solution though it with compressor air and let it soak. Then I unconnected the fuel line going to to filters and let it drain into a oil jug I cut open . I worked with it and then it broke free and would make sounds but didn’t suck unless I pushed compressed air in it . I kept working with it and finally it started to suck in fuel on its own. The 2nd pump was fine . Both are now working .

markgjsquires

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m not one to question everyone else’s ideas. And I’m a big believer in religious filter changing. But I have an MEP002a. A couple actually. And I have deleted all the filters on mine. I changed the hoses and have one single NAPA 3033 from the fuel pump to the injection pump. I change it every 50 hours +/- and have over 3000 hours on the generator (that I have actually used it) and knock on wood not one problem. Not to say a nice spin in filter wouldn’t be a good idea but just sharing my solution and throwing in my 2 cents is all

Sturgis7754

There are varying degrees of tank cleaning. If you have rust there are multiple ways to remove it... Electrolysis method, chemical, or tumbling the tank with a media inside that will physically dislodge the rust down to metal (gravel, coarse sand and even nuts & bolts have been used). If the tank doesn't have rust but has a crud buildup you could take it to a radiator shop and have them professionally clean it or DIY it. As a last step before using the Red Kote I would flush it out good with Acetone and let it dry.

I have a can of Red Kote that I have not used yet as its still on my To Do list to pull one of my fuel tanks and use it. In reading the Red Kote literature you must make absolutely sure any diesel residue is 100% removed as it contains paraffin which Red Kote will not adhere to.
Thank you for your response

Sturgis7754

Thank you for your response
I have heard all my life that gas and diesel gets into the pores of the metal. Recently I read an article that said that is not true. Now when you talk about residual diesel left in tank, is that a few drops of liquid or what might be in the pores? I have two 003’s . Tank one was bone dry but rusty and a sorta dry white substance . I could not wipe that white stuff off the removable fill tube, I assume it is alge. A wire brush took some of it off, but no way to get to the rest of the tank that has it. Tank two has what looks like 4 gallons of diesel, water etc in it along with the white stuff and it is like a paste, wipes off but leaves a thin coat. From what I have been able to get from the net, there are a couple of fuel treatments that will kill alge, if it is alge, when added to fuel. Tank one is getting electrolysis and red kite. Tank two tbd later. Any thoughts on the subjects?

Guyfang

Staff member
If I felt like the system was questionable, and were keeping it for me, I would take the entire fuel system off, and clean it. If it were my set, I would get some steel braided lines made to replace ALL the old lines. Costly, yes. But you will never, ever, have a fuel line problem in your, or your grand kids lives. Cleaning things out, well there are several good suggestions above. And additives galore for use after it back all in one piece. I would go with two good spin on filters. One, a water separator, the other a filter, and I would want petcocks on hem to enable me to let out fuel to look at, or dump water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks