• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A fuel tank strainer removal

CobraBrat

My MEP-003A fuel tank is heavily rusted and I want to have it cleaned and lined. With all of the rust, I can not tell how the strainer is supposed to be removed. I would appreciate some help.
Neil

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On mine, the strainer simply twists and lifts out. The mounting bracket cannot be removed. It is difficult to get all of the rust and corrosion out, expecially on the other side of the baffle. Try putting some steel balls or gravel in the tank and tumble it over, and over and over. Flush it out and do it again, over and over. I also was able to reach down in the opening and use brillo pads to scrub what I could get to that way. When the soapy water starts coming out clean, rinse with clean water. I dried my tank out by putting a hair dryer in the opening and letting it run while the tank was in the sun. Once dry, I rinsed it out with gasoline. I didn't coat mine.

You can also do a better job by taking it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out.

CobraBrat

The strainer assembly has the general appearance of two cylinders, one inside of the other. Can both cylinders be removed, or just the inner cylinder?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks