• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP -003a. Gauge issues

Rwf642

I'm having issues with the gauges on my MEP 003a. I have full ac power output 110 and 240. It can be adjusted to rise to about 248 volts. The power at the back of the gauge is 22-38 volts the gauge does not register any voltage. The load gauge is also inop. The freq gauge is working and can be adjusted with throttle as it should. I've been looking in the tech manual and just haven't found the answer.any help would be appreciated. Thank you

derf

There is a rotary switch to change the gauge to read different outputs. Have you tried different switch settings?

coyote62ny

first as derf said second remove and clean all connections on the gauges i put no ox on mine when i did it and also check the ground strap where it bolts to the control panel and the frame clean these connections good they are a pain to get to i can look and see where my switch on the panel is set in the morning i would now but its raining like **** here will post the setting tomorrow for you as i cant remember and dont want to tell you wrong

Rwf642

The switch is set to single phase. I get the right voltage out. I have a second genset on the trailer and I have measured voltage at the terminals of the gauge and it reads exactly what the output is.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the "voltage/amperage" selector switch on the control panel set to the correct position it could either be the contacts of that switch are dirty/corroded and not allowing the proper voltage through, or your CT/CVT assembly is toast.

Try setting the main reconnect switch to another setting like the 120/208 3 phase setting and you'll then need to use different switch position on the "voltage/amperage" switch and see if you get the proper gauge readings then. If you do, the problem lies in your selector switch for sure, if not it could still be the switch or the CT/CVT. Testing the CT/CVT is in the -34 manual.

Rwf642

The switch is set to single phase. I get the right voltage out. I have a second genset on the trailer and I have measured voltage at the terminals of the gauge and it reads exactly what the output is.

Keith_J

What manual is the -34 manual referred to by speddmon for testing for the cv/cvt. Thank You!
That would be TM 5-6115-585-34.

In case you weren't in the Army and had the short course on TMs...the first digit is the branch. 9 is ordnance. 5 is engineering etc. The second series of digits is the federal supply class. 6115 is generators and power, this corresponds to the FSC on the national stock number/federal stock number or NIIN. The third series is the sequence, 585 is the 003A. The final digits are the level, -10 is operator, -20 is organizational maintenance, -30 is direct support, -40 is depot. Some TMs are condensed, like in this case there are the -12 which is a -10 and -20 together. The -34 is direct support and depot. Finally, there is the parts manual, sometimes also broken into levels like a -20P. This generator has a -24P.

Oh, there is also the lubrication order LO-5-6115-385-12.

Search for MEP-003A generator

As far as your problem, I would get the -12 and trace the wiring. Since the voltmeter is in the control cubicle while the current-voltage transformer is in the output box, you have two connections. These are called Cannon Plugs, not because they are used on cannon but were patented by a guy named Cannon.

There are two or more rings which are threaded on each Cannon plug, to disconnect, unscrew the largest ring. The smaller rings are used to squeeze down a silicone rubber grommet to make the connection waterproof. But they CAN leak and corrode. Most are silver plated but some may be gold. Silver corrodes. Solder joints break. Fortunately, all parts are available. But servicing them is beyond scope of this post...just find the problem and report back.

Now it COULD be a problem with the meter itself, if you are getting voltage to the meter. Since you have a working generator, you could try swapping.

Rwf642

Keith thank you for your info. Your right I was not in the military. I purchased a couple of these gensets from GL. Most of that stuff is in need of repair, so this is my attempt to remedy the issues. It is apparent that you have extensive knowledge of these gensets. I appreciate your help with these issues.:D:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks