• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A glow plugs

easttnemc

75% for a short time anyway :)

The engineer in me comes out and wants everything working as designed.....occupational hazard.

I plan to get 5-10 hours runtime on it to shake everything out....then tackle the glow plug, a few other odds and ends...then paint.

Ray70

Hi Storeman, It says trade shows only, but I just called them about replacing a few bits under warranty and they will sell me individual bits ( because I lost a couple ) They gave me a price over the phone and I'm sending a small order along with 4 bits I need replaced under warranty. The web site makes it sound like you need to buy at a trade show to get the best price. I'd try calling them since they didn't have any problem selling me replacement bits when I called..... just a thought.

Ray70

Jerry, Probably should have mentioned that I did buy my drills at the "Big E" fair in Springfield Mass. 25 years ago, but now need a couple chipped bits replaced and I lost ( or should I say someone ELSE lost ) the 4 smallest sizes on me. So Rodman will sell me replacements through mail order. If they won't sell you a complete set mail order, you can call (800) 228-1806 and see when they will at a show near you. Definitely would be a better price at the show, based on what they want for individual replacements!
I purchased both the 13 pc. and the 3 pc. (9/16", 5/8" and 3/4") sets but to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever used the 3 pc. set.

Ray70

According to their web site, the bits are still made in Germany. Rodman is apparently the exclusive U.S distributor....
I looked around on ebay and what not and didn't find anything similar out there. Only carbide tip masonry bits which aren't comparable for drilling steel.

easttnemc

Hey Rapracing,
Did you receive your glowplugs from Rockauto yet? I just received mine and they are NOT the correct ones. They shipped me CH182 plugs. They are metric threads.

I spoke to Champion and they are currently out as well...expecting more in April-June timeframe. The very knowledgeable lady I spoke with at Champion confirmed that CH42 has a SKU number of CHA182. CHA182 is NOT the same thing as a CH182 glowplug. I explained this to the phone rep at RockAuto who noted everything down and is issuing an RMA for my glowplugs.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Rapracing

Yes they came today. I had two here from when I bought before. They sent me the same thing. They worked the last time si I don't know now. The box end of the old ones and the ones I just received have a 182 with CH42 under that. I would have thought I would have noticed a different threat the last time I put them in. Did you confirm on one if your old ones that they are in fact the wrong ones

ETA: can anyone else confirm one way or the other??

Last edited:

storeman

Hey Rapracing,
Did you receive your glowplugs from Rockauto yet? I just received mine and they are NOT the correct ones. They shipped me CH182 plugs. They are metric threads.

I spoke to Champion and they are currently out as well...expecting more in April-June timeframe. The very knowledgeable lady I spoke with at Champion confirmed that CH42 has a SKU number of CHA182. CHA182 is NOT the same thing as a CH182 glowplug. I explained this to the phone rep at RockAuto who noted everything down and is issuing an RMA for my glowplugs.

Just wanted to let everyone know.
I received 10 ch-182 (wrong) today as well. Talked to Rock Auto and sent them PICs. They said wrong stock pull and will ship correct ones as soon as I send these back via fedex. Will ship when their return label is scanned at my drop off. Strange because I tried to order from them a month ago when they sold eaches and they had none. Champion site hasn't had any for several weeks. I suspect I'll wind up getting a refund rather than the plugs I want.
Jerry
:maddawg308:

storeman

Yes they came today. I had two here from when I bought before. They sent me the same thing. They worked the last time si I don't know now. The box end of the old ones and the ones I just received have a 182 with CH42 under that. I would have thought I would have noticed a different threat the last time I put them in. Did you confirm on one if your old ones that they are in fact the wrong ones

ETA: can anyone else confirm one way or the other??
You got the right ones. The CH182 is tiny. You would see difference right away.
Jerry

easttnemc

The ones I received from RA are marked "CH182". I compared the threads and they are definitely different. The old one I removed from my MEP was marked CH42. I believe they are getting confused with the model number (CH42) and the SKU (CHA182) for the correct one I need, and you apparently received, and model CH182 that they sent me.

What at model number was printed on the side of your box.

Glad you got the right ones!

I have one broken plug and one bulging plug, so I ordered two of the expensive MIL-SPEC ones and they should arrive Saturday.

Rapracing

I received 10 ch-182 (wrong) today as well. Talked to Rock Auto and sent them PICs. They said wrong stock pull and will ship correct ones as soon as I send these back via fedex. Will ship when their return label is scanned at my drop off. Strange because I tried to order from them a month ago when they sold eaches and they had none. Champion site hasn't had any for several weeks. I suspect I'll wind up getting a refund rather than the plugs I want.
Jerry
Jerry,

I am concerned and wondering now. How are your boxes labeled? As I said above the end of my box has a 182 with CH42 under it. The reason for the concern is they are the same plugs I used in my 002 and I don't recall the thread being different or being difficult in any way to get to screw in. Did I manage to get the wrong plugs in my 002? I sure hope not

I looked at the plugs, both old and new ones, and its says "CH42" on them. Also says 24v on one side of the nut and looks like "6F".

easttnemc

Jerry

Jerry,
I hope you get them, but they told me today that they didn't have any more of the CH42s and issued me an RMA.

When I was talking to the Champion rep, they promised to call me later this spring or early summer when they have them in stock again.

Jeff

easttnemc

Jerry,

I am concerned and wondering now. How are your boxes labeled? As I said above the end of my box has a 182 with CH42 under it. The reason for the concern is they are the same plugs I used in my 002 and I don't recall the thread being different or being difficult in any way to get to screw in. Did I manage to get the wrong plugs in my 002? I sure hope not

I looked at the plugs, both old and new ones, and its says "CH42" on them. Also says 24v on one side of the nut and looks like "6F".

My boxes were marked CH182. Compare the threads and overall size...as Jerry said they are different.

it sounds like you lucked out and got the correct ones.

Rapracing

My boxes were marked CH182. Compare the threads and overall size...as Jerry said they are different.

it sounds like you lucked out and got the correct ones.
Thanks Jerry. I just opened all 10 to be sure they were all labeled CH42 on the plug and they are. Maybe I got the last they had or maybe like they said someone just pulled the wrong ones for you guys.

Here is a photo of the big box and one of the end of a single plug

DSC_1455.jpg
DSC_1458.jpg

Rapracing

Seems maybe Rock Auto is either confused when pulling stuff or there is an inventory/web issue. I just went on for the fun of it and was able to place an order for 10 CH42. I went to their home page and searched "ch42" and got the item listed below. I did everything but submit but it went through up to that point. I don't want 10 more right now or i'd have finished the order
CHAMPION Part # 182 More Info **#CH42}
Category: Spark Plug
+ Sold in packs of 10; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack
$17.31

ETA: I also did a search for "CH182" and got a completely different plug. It was part number 147 (#CH182). Must be what they sent you. They were also much cheaper.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My MEP-002A had 2 hours on it when I bought it and is in "like new" condition. I believe my glow plugs work fine because it starts up with no real problems ever. After looking through this thread, it sounds l should take my glow plugs out and put anti-sieze on them, then reinstall them. I love to keep my equipment PM'ed!

Rapracing

My MEP-002A had 2 hours on it when I bought it and is in "like new" condition. I believe my glow plugs work fine because it starts up with no real problems ever. After looking through this thread, it sounds l should take my glow plugs out and put anti-sieze on them, then reinstall them. I love to keep my equipment PM'ed!
The pics I posted on Page 1 of this thread were from an 002 that was in excellent condition and said 7.1 hours. Obviously it was reset so it had more hours on it that the meter said. As you can see the one plug had rusted almost completely off before I started working on it and it broke immediately when I started. I decided to check the other one (it tested okay and was working fine) when I saw how the first one was bulbed at the end and was glad I did. It was tight coming out through the hole because of the swelling. I am not sure what I'd do in your case. If they come out easy it would not be a big deal and if there are no issues you would be covering your bases in case they ever do need replaced. I had a friend decide to check his when he saw my plugs. Both of his tested okay but both were swollen on the ends and tight coming out because of that.

I have an 003 that three of the plugs test good on but I am pulling all of them and just replacing them while they are out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks