• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A - Lost Output

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm embarrassed to admist that since first discovering the problem with over-voltage on my MEP-003A, I have not taken the time to properly troubleshoot the problem, which was suspected to be a bad VR. well, today was the day. It was beautiful outside and I'm almost finished wiring up my transfer switch. I fired up the genset and to my surprise, it functioned perfectly. No overvoltage problem and no flashing required. I let it run an hour, thoroughly warming up, before shutting down. Three more successive runs with everything functioning OK and I shut it down for the day. Now, I'm concerned that it is not reliable and that the problem will return, right when I need it.

Unfortunately, I discovered another unrelated issue. A very large rip has taken place in the almost new top on the trailer. The material is OK, but the stitching completely came apart. I've noticed large puddles of water on top and I guess the weight of the water was finally too much for it. I plan to remove the top and have it re-stitched at an upholster shop.

m38inmaine

The bow system on the 116 trailer is a piss poor design, mine puddles as well. I plan on adding an additional support on either side of the ridge pole to better support the cover. I have not been able to find a source for new ones either, contacted both companies that supply them with no reply.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree about the poor design of the bows. I'm thinking about adding some thin plywood to place on top of the bows to prevent this in the future. One thing interesting about my cover is that the quality control was apparently very poor. Some of my straps were sewn on backwards.

There have been so many M116A2 trailers sold recently with bows and no tops, that it would probably be good business to have some made. It is a fairly simple design. I have never seen any covers for sale anywhere.

m38inmaine

All of my straps that secure the cover to the bows on top are sewn on upside down making it difficult to use the buckle clamp. Sounds like it was a common problem.

Last edited:

DieselBob

I'm embarrassed to admist that since first discovering the problem with over-voltage on my MEP-003A, I have not taken the time to properly troubleshoot the problem, which was suspected to be a bad VR. well, today was the day. It was beautiful outside and I'm almost finished wiring up my transfer switch. I fired up the genset and to my surprise, it functioned perfectly. No overvoltage problem and no flashing required. I let it run an hour, thoroughly warming up, before shutting down. Three more successive runs with everything functioning OK and I shut it down for the day. Now, I'm concerned that it is not reliable and that the problem will return, right when I need it.
Well that tells us something. Your “no output” seemed to happen when the outside temp was low. Problem is this could indicate either a bad connection or a temp sensitive component. You could try something like “freeze spray” to help isolate a problematic component. www.action-electronics.com/freezespray.htm. These sets can be temperamental at times. I fired mine up the other day and after about 5 minutes the output dropped to 72 / 148 volts. Turned out the R17 trim pot failed. The one end leg on the pot came loose inside which changed it from a voltage adjustment to a voltage bias trimmer. At least it keeps me off the streets and the wife knows where to find me. :-D