• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 003A Mep 002A DC charging volts

justacitizen

I am shopping for some new batteries for my MEP 002A and 003A generators. I have found that the AGM type battery out perform flooded lead acid battery especially when just sitting. they don't discharge as fast and have more capacity than the lead acid battery. the only problem i have found is they don't like to be charged at above 27.6 volts. does anyone know how many volts their MEP 002A or MEP003A charge at.

Triple Jim

Generally around 28-28.5-ish in my experience. I'm not trying to sell you something you don't need, but I can set the regulators I make at a custom voltage before potting.

justacitizen

Triple Jim

voltage regulators for the charging circuit and new gauges are on my to do list. when i get some other stuff out of the way and payed for, i will be contacting you. I have been looking at a set of Exide Edge AGM batteries in the group 51r for my generators. they are supposed to be warranty for 5 years and also have a very low discharge rate along with the ability to be completely discharged with out damage. they aren't that much more expensive than regular flooded cell battery in the same group either. can your regulator be user adjusted to compensate for the battery? or are they adjusted permanently by you?

Triple Jim

I have to set the voltage before potting, and once it's potted, there's no going back. Really though, if I set it for 27.6, it'll work fine for flooded batteries too. I make a similar regulator for motorcycles, and set them to 13.7-13.8 so they can be used with AGMs or flooded batteries, and it works out well.

The regulators I make do have temperature compensation, so they will be somewhat higher in cold weather, and lower in hot weather, per lead-acid requirements.

justacitizen

does it cost extra for this added service? how much lead time do you need to make these? I have several of these generators and have spent quite a lot lately just getting my spare filters glow plugs battery etc. when i get my budget built up some i will order at least two but i really need four. I don't mind this in an open forum but for your privacy i will send you a PM with details.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

There's no extra cost for custom voltage settings. I build the regulators myself, and set them to the desired voltage during testing, so it's no more difficult to choose one voltage than another, within the allowable range of the circuit.

The regulators are not a fast selling product, so I don't always stock them. I keep all the parts in stock though, so I can ship within one week 99% of the time, and usually in 3 or 4 days. I happen to have one in stock now, set to the standard 28.4 volts.

I was reluctant to put in the hours to design these when I wasn't really sure there would be much demand, but the guys here talked me into it. While they don't fly off the shelves, I've sold enough to make it worth the effort, and appreciate the positive feedback I've gotten.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks