• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003a & mep-005a

dynamok

Hi everyone, so I just got 2xMEP-003A and 1xMEP-005A units at an auction. I'm shipping them to South America, we do mining here. So, I need to have the parts that usually need replacement right away.
So, I'll start with 003A:
I already bought Oil Spin-on adapters with Fram PH16.
Bought the fuel filter cartridge with Napa Gold 3546 (filter/separator) with a base.
Buying air filter FRAM CAK253 from Amazon ($22.55)
I think that's it for filters. Do I need to get any Glow Plugs?
Head GlowPlug
Intake Manifold
Anything else that usually you would replace right away? So I can buy it and ship it with the generators?

For the MEP-005A I bought these:
Oil filter Wix 51004
Air filter Wix 46272
Fuel filter Wix 33512
I'm thinking replacing the Fuel filer with the same option I got for 003A (Napa Gold 3546 (filter/separator) with a base.), what do you think?
What else am I missing, anything I need for this to start running for first 1-2 month?

Triple Jim

It you haven't load tested them for several hours, they could need just about anything. I wouldn't ship them to a remote site and expect to rely on them without a thorough going over and some run time.

dynamok

I don't have an option of testing them in U.S., I'm not there. We have mechanics who will check them here.
I just thought that maybe certain parts will need replacement, most likely.

Isaac-1

I will second Tripple Jim here, if at all possible get them tested before shipping to a remote location, in general the overall chances of getting a functioning generator from a GL auction is well below 50/50, getting an easy to repair one is likely in the 75% range, however this may mean rebuilding injection pumps, replacing voltage regulators, fuel pumps, etc. Many of these parts are hard to find, and often reveal other underlying problems, trying to get these parts in a remote location in South America may delay getting these generators into use for considerable amounts of time. Remember there is also that 10-25% chance of getting a complete basket case (broken pistons, burned out generator end, etc.) which is useful only as parts or scrap.

Ike

dynamok

Wish I could check them, but impossible.
It's not going to be in a remote location until it's working. It will be in Georgetown, Guyana. I have no problem shipping parts here, we do it for the ATVs. Also, from what I can tell, pretty much everything is available on the internet.
So, are these glowplus something that I should replace? Or just wait on everything?

dynamok

Wish I could check them, but impossible.
It's not going to be in a remote location until it's working. It will be in Georgetown, Guyana. I have no problem shipping parts here, we do it for the ATVs. Also, from what I can tell, pretty much everything is available on the internet.
So, are these glowplus something that I should replace? Or just wait on everything?

Isaac-1

Other than filters, I would wait personally, there is just no telling what you may find, let me give you an example of a good story. A few months ago I bought a 5 KW MEP-002a with about 800 hours showing on the meter from GL. Overall I got very lucky with this unit, as it appears to have just had major service, then was not used. It came with all new filters (even the little ones in the bottom of the fuel pumps), and a brand new fuel tank, new starter, new throttle cable and knob, new air intake hose, etc. At first it seemed like I had bought a good runner, I added batteries, filled the oil and fuel and she fired right up (more than I can say about some generators I have bought from GL). Right away I spotted a few minor issues, the battery gauge did not work (full of moisture so it was already suspect), and the AC voltage gauge is flaky, sometimes reading right and sometimes bouncing around even though I had good voltage on my multimeter, then after a few minutes of run time the AC voltage started going high, turns out the output transistor on the voltage regulator was bad (a common problem), so I spent a week waiting on a $3 transistor to come in (I did buy a couple of extras).

So long story short, after a new generic $12 24V battery gauge, and replacing the output transistor on the AVR board (5 minute soldering job, 20 minute job undoing the 4 bolts and getting the board out of the control box) I have a fully functioning MEP-002a at least functioning for my purposes, as the AC voltage gauge still jumps all over the place. This is just about the best case one can expect Having said that until I changed out that $3 part it was useless as a generator, and that show stopper part could have been about anything, or could have been multiple things, or it could have been a basket case, you just never know until you see it.

Ike

p.s. I would suggest getting spare output transistors for your MEP-003a's as they quickly burn out if anyone tries to run these generators at "idle" (these generators should always be ran at operating speed, no slowing down for warm up or cool down) , the thing is you will not know which transistor you need until you see which revision of the AVR board yours has.

Last edited:

storeman

"It will be in Georgetown, Guyana".....Unless you are way up high, I would think manifold heaters and glow plugs would be the least of your concerns. They facilitate cold weather operations.
Jerry

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have some 002 and 003 parts, a BUNCH of injection pumps and Storeman has ALL kind of parts. Post up if you need something, I'm sure between us, we can help you find it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your in Guyana, why does your location show Minneapolis Minnesota?

dynamok

Ike

p.s. I would suggest getting spare output transistors for your MEP-003a's as they quickly burn out if anyone tries to run these generators at "idle" (these generators should always be ran at operating speed, no slowing down for warm up or cool down) , the thing is you will not know which transistor you need until you see which revision of the AVR board yours has.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Ike, are you talking about voltage regulator transistor? Or something else?

Isaac-1

Yes the main output transistor on the voltage regulator board is a very common failure point, if anyone tries running the generator at below operational speed the voltage regulator will go to full output to try to maintain its set point voltage and the transistor will burn out. Most likely it will be a 2N3584 (well JAN2N3584 if you want the much more expensive mil rated transistor), but with modern semi conductor quality control you are probably safe with the standard 2N3584.

Ike

p.s. there are 2 or 3 transistors on the voltage regulator board, the one in your link is not the one that most commonly burns out.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one Ike is talking about is the largest one, off by itself on the side of the board. It is actually "bolted" to the board. Yes , that is a common failure point, and probably not a bad idea to have a few around as spares especially if you are going to have people of less than average competency operating the equipment.

Also, please keep in mind that the tips most people are offering you are for the smaller MEP-003a generators. Not many of us have much or any experience with the larger MEP-005a, so you may just be on your own with that one.

m38inmaine

Two things, are you near the area the "Jungle Gold" show is filming where all the armed chineese are taking over claims? and as per GL rules did you have to get export permits to ship military equipment out of the US or are gen sets no longer requiring EUC's? Good luck and hope they work for you, my MEP-003A has served me well.

dynamok

Two things, are you near the area the "Jungle Gold" show is filming where all the armed chineese are taking over claims?
That's in Ghana, Africa. I'm in Guyana, South America. They did a different TV show here, 1 episode Gold Rush: Guyana (normally it's Gold Rush: Alaska).

and as per GL rules did you have to get export permits to ship military equipment out of the US or are gen sets no longer requiring EUC's? Good luck and hope they work for you, my MEP-003A has served me well.
No longer required.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks