• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003A Misfiring

Bross177

Hey Guys:
My MEP 003A is in use approximately 16 hours per week. When I started it up today, it had developed a slight misfire. The missing was progressive and occurs more under load. It might be notable that the battery gage is now pegged at discharge. It went from green to yellow and is now in the red. Anyone know if the 2 are related or?
Thanks
Bross177

dmetalmiki

Is it electric start or hand crank? If it is coil ignition and not magneto, then low battery power (discharge) will certainly make it misfire. (and eventually stop). my 1pence worth. let us know the eventual cure. NOW I just researched and it is a diesel! So rough running could be Filter, or injector. And it seems it is not charging well. (which does not effect the running, (Unless the engine has a Voltage "Held Open" switched fuel solenoid.))

Last edited:

jamawieb

Hey Guys:
My MEP 003A is in use approximately 16 hours per week. When I started it up today, it had developed a slight misfire. The missing was progressive and occurs more under load. It might be notable that the battery gage is now pegged at discharge. It went from green to yellow and is now in the red. Anyone know if the 2 are related or?
Thanks
Bross177
When you say misfire, what do you mean? Does it make a knocking sound, smoke, or just low on power? It's more thank likely the injectors but could also be the valves out of adjustment. (How many hours are on the unit)
Your battery indicator has nothing to do with the misfire. Check your batteries with a hand held meter to see what the voltage is across the batteries. More than likely it's just the regulator has failed You can find one from one of our members here. Here is a link:http://www.lakeserv.net/mep/index.html

novaman

I have an 802a and I would have to say that if your battery voltage gets too low it may prevent the low pressure electric fuel pump ( the thing that clicks before u start it) from delivering adequate fuel to the engine causing the misfire. So like jamawieb said check the actual total voltage of ur batteries both while running and while off. The regulator should be putting in at least 25.5-26v while running. If it gets below 22 volts I could see the pump possibly running out of oomph to keep the engine happy.
Anything is possible

R Racing

The MEP-003a is diesel not gas. if voltage runs low your fuel pumps will not be able to keep up fuel pressure. Charge the batteries and see if it still does it?

Bross177

Hey Everyone:
With full batteries, the unit ran smoothly for a couple hours under 50% load. The low voltage was obviously the culprit.
I will be running the test procedures prescribed in TM-05684c/05685B-12, pages 4-29,30 & 31 over the weekend.

Thanks to jamawieb for the link to the voltage regulator. I will certainly be a customer if that checks out to be the problem.

Thanks to all. You guys are great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks