• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A No-start After Fuel Filter Replacement

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I removed the fuel tank on my MEP-003A and thoroughly cleaned it, as well as all fuel lines. I also cleaned the fuel strainer and replaced both fuel filters. After re-assembly, I cannot get the engine to run. It initially started and ran for about 3 seconds and died, obviously due to air in the fuel system. According to the TM, letting the fuel pump run in the run/prime position will purge the air ffrom the system. I can hear fuel returning from the IP into the tank, but still no start. I have let the fuel pump run for 30 minutes. I don't believe I have an air leak on the input from the tank. The GenSet ran flawlessly prior to the service. Any ideas?

CUCV85

Keep priming the system

Well, I removed the fuel tank on my MEP-003A and thoroughly cleaned it, as well as all fuel lines. I also cleaned the fuel strainer and replaced both fuel filters. After re-assembly, I cannot get the engine to run. It initially started and ran for about 3 seconds and died, obviously due to air in the fuel system. According to the TM, letting the fuel pump run in the run/prime position will purge the air ffrom the system. I can hear fuel returning from the IP into the tank, but still no start. I have let the fuel pump run for 30 minutes. I don't believe I have an air leak on the input from the tank. The GenSet ran flawlessly prior to the service. Any ideas?
Keep priming the system,
you will find something sooner or later. LEAKS ?
Fuel Shut off? Function - IP Malfunction.
Let us know...

DieselBob

Be sure to check the fuel shutoff solenoid is operating. I had run my generator for a while and went to restart and that quick a connection on the post went bad. Cleaned and tightened and been fine sense.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
crack each line at the injectors and make sure you are getting fuel to each injector. The pump or lines may just be "vapor locked" somewhere along the way

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
crack each line at the injectors and make sure you are getting fuel to each injector. The pump or lines may just be "vapor locked" somewhere along the way
That is what I intend to try next - thanks. Unfortunately, I was unable to work on it today, but I'll get back to it tomorrow.

derf

Agree. Crack line at each injector and turn over until fuel comes out of each. When one squirts, tighten that line. Be careful. Diesel injector pumps are powerful and you are squirting fuel.

DieselBob

I feel your pain. Been there, done that. got the t-shirt. I hope you recover quickly. I know the pain killers they gave me where top notch. Would take one and you could have beat me with a bat and I wouldn't have felt a thing.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It runs again! I'm not sure how air got in the lines from the IP to the injectors since I didn't have that apart , but bleeding the lines from the IP to the injectors did the trick. New fuel filters, cleaned fuel screen and cleaned all three fuel pumps filters as well as cleaned fuel tank and flushed all lines prior to the IP. Getting it ready for the winter. Now all I need to do is get rid of this **** kidney stone.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear it's running again, and without too much troubles getting it that way again.

I hope all goes well with the kidney stones....gotta get rid of them before the GA rally

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No updates. I'm laid up with a 6mm kidney stone I can't pass. Between the pain and the pain killers, the genset has taken a back seat.

Drink one coke every 20 min. for one hour. Then eat one pound of aspairgus and drink one gal. of distilled water within the next 24 hrs.

The acid in the coke will take off ruff edges of stone.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drink one coke every 20 min. for one hour. Then eat one pound of aspairgus and drink one gal. of distilled water within the next 24 hrs.

The acid in the coke will take off ruff edges of stone.
I know the coke has a lot of phosphoric acid in it, but what is the asparagus supposed to do? They have now decided to blast the stone, maybe next Thursday.

iamhere

To bring an old thread back to life... We have an impending blizzard. Sitting here with an MEP003 genset, cranks, but no start. We have fuel going to the fuel injector pump (at least I think so) but nothing after that. Could I be missing something, or do I need to replace that pump?

Please be specific....

Thanks

iamhere

As a COLD update, I turn the unit to prime/run, and see no movement of the linkage that goes up and down just forward of the injector pump. At what point SHOULD I see movement there, and what is probable cause of no movement? (I am assuming this is the fuel shut off solenoid?)

jbk

crack your inj. lines spin it over if nothing their remove the large nut at pump face and remove the delivery valve holder and delivery valve dont loose the little gasket. and check the plunger to see if its stuck. turning it over you should see the plunger move in an out. the linkage going to the shut off sol. will go up wide open when in the start position.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a COLD update, I turn the unit to prime/run, and see no movement of the linkage that goes up and down just forward of the injector pump. At what point SHOULD I see movement there, and what is probable cause of no movement? (I am assuming this is the fuel shut off solenoid?)
Mine will occasionally stick. I spray the linkage with carb cleaner and manually move it around and it loosens up. I have found that if I exercise the genset once per month, I never have any issues.

Polycop

My linkage was out of whack for a bit and I would simply have to reach around and bump it with my right hand while I held the start switch with my left hand. It's all good now after I got it adjusted right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks