• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003A Push Rod Tube Oil Leak (I think)...

Polycop

I've noticed an oil leak, which appears to be coming from the top of the push rod tube. I looked pretty close and it's not coming from the valve cover and leaking down. In looking at the TM is looks like there is some sort of packing in the push rod tube, which I'm guessing is a oil seal of sorts? Anyone ever tackle one of these, what is the packing made of and how big of a job is it?

Thanks,

Poly

photo(7) - Copy.jpg

Jimc

Its just a rubber o-ring. Obviously you need to pull the head so you will need a head and valve cover gasket as well

Jimc

Sometimes what can happen is the tube itself gets stuck or frozen in place. The tube is supposed to move where the spring presses down on tue lower oring and makes the tube pit pressure upward. The pressure squishes the iring slightly helping it make a seal around the tube. Over time if the tube sticks and wont move up and down freely tue pressure against the oring is lost and it can leak. If you can gently twist and spin the tube you may ba able to free things up. The tube is thin wall aluminum so dont be rough with it or grip it hard with pliers or anything like that.

Polycop

The picts helped vs the TM drawings figuring out how it goes together. When Jimc said to be careful of the thin walled tubbing he wasn't kidding as mine is now sporting a minor dent. The push rod tube moved a little so it's not frozen. I'll keep an eye on it and if it becomes too problematic I'll get some gaskets / O-rings and I'll knock it out.

Thanks to all...

Poly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks