• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 003A Questions: Help please

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen, after 2 years finally got the generator connected to the house. Started her up, the sparky checked the voltage with his amp meters and we have 120 and 240 V showing perfect.

Turned off main and all breakers at the house, threw transfer switch over, checked voltage incoming, still perfect. Threw main on at the house and slowly started turning breakers on. Everything including voltages still great, lights, radio playing, wonderful.

Question is: the hertz meter pegs at 65, and drops minimally with a little usage on it. Should this be of concern? Do I have a messed up voltage regulator, or other instrument/gauge problem?

Machine is turned off now. Your valued opinions would be graciously appreciated, Many thanks.

steelandcanvas

Welcome. Your post should have been placed in the Auxiliary Equipment catagory. Maybe the Mods will adjust that. Did you try to adjust the throttle to get your 60Hz? We have alot of talent on this subject, I'm just a novice. The experts will chime in as they see your post.

treeguy

My gauge occasionally has a mind of its own, a couple of wacks on the transducer some times sets her straight. From what I have heard is if your check the convience outlets with an alternate meter and get 60HZ then its probably a bad transducer in the control box. If you set the HZ to around 60 with the throttle and your aux. meter in the convience outlet just leave the throttle alone ---- forever! and maybe fab. some sort of spacer to keep it in this set position.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like was said above, if you have dmm with freq capability put it in the conv. recpt. Then adjust your engine speed till it shows 60 hz with about 70% load. If there is no load set it to 61.5 hz. Hope this helps.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, thank you so much. My problem is/was knowing where 1800 rpm is (no tach) Your answers are clear: adjust the rpm to the load 60-61.5 Hz at say 70% and call it good.

On an unrelated note, we live about 1 hour from Fort Bragg and 2 1/2 hrs from Camp LeJeune. If anyone is picking up their stuff from Government Liquidation from those locations, and needs a place to work on their goodies a little bit or just to crash before heading home drop us a note. We have experienced the idiosyncrasies of GL several times and know what it can be like!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you know this already, I apologize. Never let the MEP-003A idle. It will damage the voltage regulator. When you shut down, shut it down at operating RPM. When you start it it will come up to the proper RPM.

Nonotagain

Go buy a P4400 kill-a-watt and plug it in somewhere you can see it. It will display frequency. $20 to $25 with shipping.
NewEgg computer parts recently had the P4400 units on sale for $14.99 plus free shipping. I picked up a couple of them.

I wanted to see just how much electricity the coffee pot was using. After running the P4400 for a couple of weeks, once the coffee is done brewing, it gets turned off.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you are clear on the subject...your initial question tells me you are uncertain of the proper operation. The frequency of your generator has absolutely nothing to do with your voltage regulator. The frequency is strictly depentent on engine speed, so if the frequency is off, but you are still producing 120/240 volts then your voltage regulator is operating just as it should. Like mentioned above, the frequency meters and transducers are flakey at best. Remember, these units were intended for field use as utility generators, but they really do produce very clean power, and if you can get a good secondary reading of the frequency and set it properly, they make excellent back-up generators for home use.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, guys, for all the helpful info. Will get on NewEgg immediately I get this posted.

Related question: this generator is on a pad some 75 feet from the house. I want to enclose it before winter. Have any of you built a small utility building over a generator that make it easy to service, yet let it operate protected? Have you piped out exhaust passively or used an exhaust fan?

Any advice and especially pictures of what worked would be great. Thanks again for all advice.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have the option to adjust the Hz at any voltage, just stay with in 5% of the rated 60Hz range. Good luck with your genny, remember the oil is the lifeblood of any diesel engine and the air cooled one you have must be changed regularly. Don

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks