• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Seized

Timeline98

I acquired a MEP-003A in a GL auction. This is what I found.

Hr Meter = 702
No Oil filter in the Oil Filter Housing.
No Fuel Filters in the primary or secondary Fuel Filter Housings (Strainer was there)
Water/Diesel in the Fuel Tank (rust on bottom of tank)
Greyish Oil in the Oil Pan.
Rust in the Air Cleaner housing (Air Filter present)

I proceeded to install a new oil filter, but stopped there. I figured I would try and remove the fan guard so I could see if the engine would turn over. No luck seized up. I removed all the air shrouds to more easily access the engine components. I removed the starter and tried turning the engine with a pry bar but not using excessive force. No luck. I then removed the intake manifold and dumped a 50/50 mix of ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. I let this sit for about a week with still no luck rotating the crank.

Next I removed each of the injectors. Using a syringe with a piece of hose attached to the end,(children's medicine syringe), I extracted the fluids in each cylinder.

1. Cyl #1 (Closest to the Blower Fan) I extracted the 50/50 mix I dumped down the intake,
  2. Cyl #2 - empty,
  3. Cyl #3, 50/50 mix,
  4. Cyl #4 - empty.
I then extracted the fluids from the heads via the intake port.

1. Cyl #1 - empty,
  2. Cyl #2 50/50 mix,
  3. Cyl #3 - empty,
  4. Cyl #4 - 50/50 mix.
These were all what I expected since I didn't have anything the Cyl #2 & 4 when extracting through the injector port.
Now I am glad I didn't find any water in the cylinders. I then gave a good 15sec. spray of Kroil down each Cylinder via the Injector port. Four days have now passed, and I still can't rotate the engine. I am thinking I need to dump something in the crank case, but what should I use? (ATF, used motor oil, ??)
Do I simply have a toasted bottom end?

Any thoughts?

Thank You,
Keith aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure it's the engine, and not the generator that is seized?

I think Gimpy or Kipman had some engines for sale a while back.

Timeline98

Actually, I'm not sure. I was thinking that would be one of my next moves as well. Isolate the generator head from the engine. I would do that before thinking about another engine anyways so what do I have to lose.

zyrtecx

I have used Ammonia to un-freeze a stuck motor, worked rather well on old tractor engines... after I get it unstuck remove Ammonia and put marvel mystery oil in and rotate the engine slow several times rather slow and let sit turn some more and add oil and turn some more and let it sit a while with oil in the cylinders....

Keith_J

Yes, ammonia is corrosive to aluminum. But if the engine is corroded, the aluminum pistons generally take the brunt of the attack, filling the gap between the piston and cylinder with aluminum oxide/hydoxide. This will seize the engine, BAD. The cylinder's iron walls oxidize, causing the cold thermite reaction where aluminum scavenges the oxygen from the rust, forming aluminum oxide with metallic iron which then corrodes to rust and continues.

Nothing in the crankcase will help. Try the ammonia, just for a few hours before blowing it out with compressed air.

zyrtecx

Ammonia in all the seized engines that I have used it in have NEVER damaged the pistons... And all of the engines that I have used ammonia in were stuck due to water getting in the cylinders and causing rust.

Isaac-1

Patience is a virtue, don't get into too big of rush, if it were mine I would give it another dose of ATF and Marvel Mystery oil, let it soak a while longer, maybe apply some slow heat if you have magnetic drain pan heater, etc. that you can stick to the block. If its on a trailer maybe take it for a ride down a bumpy road, see if some vibration will help. There is plenty of time for more aggressive actions later if this does not free it up in time.

Ike

p.s. also check to make sure the generator end bearing is not seized.

Last edited:

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would pit about an inch in each cyl with marvel and break-loose.Let them set about1/2 hour
Prime it while you are trying to turn it over. If you just hit the starter button a few times while your trying, this it could break the engine loose. using. If it doesn't start right away. Give it
Mark a week and try it again.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would pit about an inch in each cyl with marvel and break-loose.Let them set about1/2 hour
Prime it while you are trying to turn it over. If you just hit the starter button a few times while your trying, this it could break the engine loose. using. If it doesn't start right away. Give it
Mark a week and try it again.

coyote62ny

i have used pb blaster to free quite a few engines put about 1/4 can in each cylinder heat slow with a oxy acettelne torch heat till the pb starts to smoke out the injector holes heating the cylinder all the way around do this to all cylinders while the cylinders are still hot try to turn with a pry bar through the starter hole use the teeth on the flywheel and the block as a leverage point should get it loose the heat will pull the pb blaster down around the pistons and pb eats rust and wont hurt the cylinder or piston

Timeline98

MEP-003A Update

So here's my latest update. The engine is still seized up. What I have done so far is:

Split the Gen head from the Engine (Gen head spins freely)
Removed the Heads

I found a stuck valve upon removing both heads. I was able to spray some Kroil on the valve and free it up. I inspected the cylinders and was surprised at how clean the cylinders were being the engine is seized. There was very little rust in the cylinders. I sprayed each piston with WD40 and cleaned it off with paper towel just to get the minor buildup off the pistons. Then I sprayed the top of each piston with Kroil and let sit for 2 days or so. I still couldn't turn the engine. I've tryed to turn the engine via the teeth on the flywheel. I also cut down a couple blocks of 4x4 wood to fit in the cylinders. I gave each piston a hit to try and break free the rings if they are what is keeping the engine from turning over. Still no luck. I then sprayed some more Kroil in each cylinder and let sit for 3-4days. Tried to hit each piston again with no luck. I also put the 2 equal length pieces of 4x4 in the two center cylinders and placed another 4x4 across the two cylinders and hit that with a 5lb sledge with no luck either. I'm wondering if the problem lies in the crank (spun bearing or something)? I also did try heating the cylinders with a propane torch and hitting the flywheel through the starter opening with a pipe and hammer.

Am I just not being patient enough? I would have thought by spraying Kroil in each cylinder and waiting a few days, then tapping on the pistons would have freed up the rotating assembly if the problem was with stuck rings. I am open to suggestions.

coyote62ny

like i said use pb blaster and a cutting torch i use a rose bud tip lots of heat could be a spun bearing not to hard to pull the oil pan and check the bearings i would if it is as clean as you say

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks