• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A starter grinding after engine starts

stickshift

Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place, I couldn't see a more appropriate section. I've owned my MEP-003A for over 10 years. The last couple years the starter will re-engage after the engine starts, thus grinding the starter gear on the flywheel. It will also occasionally engage when I shut the unit off. This drives me nuts because I know it is damaging the gears. I do have a TM and I did follow the starter lock-out setup and the lockout points are set at .040 when running. The crazy thing is that I can sometimes, but not always, engage the starter by turning the switch to "start" when the engine is running and the point are completely open. I can do this even with the connector to the points un-plugged. This should be impossible with the points open, right? My unit was manufactured 1/87 and I have the older version starter with the bendix lever on top. My only thought is that there's something like a minor short in the starter itself. I read in the manual that there is a version II starter that has gear reduction and I'm thinking of ordering one, but I don't want to ruin it with this problem. By the way, are the spur gears still available for these older starters? I'm afraid to pull it and look, but I'm sure it's damaged. Thanks for any responses. Here's the point setup procedure I used.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place, I couldn't see a more appropriate section. I've owned my MEP-003A for over 10 years. The last couple years the starter will re-engage after the engine starts, thus grinding the starter gear on the flywheel. It will also occasionally engage when I shut the unit off. This drives me nuts because I know it is damaging the gears. I do have a TM and I did follow the starter lock-out setup and the lockout points are set at .040 when running. The crazy thing is that I can sometimes, but not always, engage the starter by turning the switch to "start" when the engine is running and the point are completely open. I can do this even with the connector to the points un-plugged. This should be impossible with the points open, right? My unit was manufactured 1/87 and I have the older version starter with the bendix lever on top. My only thought is that there's something like a minor short in the starter itself. I read in the manual that there is a version II starter that has gear reduction and I'm thinking of ordering one, but I don't want to ruin it with this problem. By the way, are the spur gears still available for these older starters? I'm afraid to pull it and look, but I'm sure it's damaged. Thanks for any responses. Here's the point setup procedure I used.
I am rummaging around for a thread about this problem...
I saw something about this problem recently.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Maybe I need to send you also all the Gen set TM's and info also?
I would love to have them. I am working toward having one or several. Really want to talk to you about the possibility of a 40kva 3 phase service I have here at work. It would be a real plus to have that juiced up with a generator...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks