• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Starter Issues

mikemarti

Okay been working on the genset all evening changing filters, battery cables, etc... when I went to reconnect the batteries the starter engages as soon as I connect the last neg terminal :(

I checked the starter switch etc...know it something silly but I am too tired to figure it out :oops:

Thanks

Ray70

Mike, if you verify the solenoid is moving correctly per Dependable's suggestion and the starter is still engaging, try removing the switch wire ( S terminal in the TM diagram ) see if that stops the starter. If it does you'll have to trace back and see why you are getting power on the switch wire with the starter switch not engaged....

mikemarti

Its the solenoid

Thanks for the suggestion.

I went out looked at the solenoid via the air intake and noticed some icicles :( not good. I tried to manipulate the solenoid and its frozen in place.

I then tried to remove the starter and everything as you can guess is pretty frozen.

So I am going to wait until it warms up then remove the fuel tank so that I can get better leverage - the pull the starter and give it a good look over.

Also, time to buy a new tarp~!

Mike, if you verify the solenoid is moving correctly per Dependable's suggestion and the starter is still engaging, try removing the switch wire ( S terminal in the TM diagram ) see if that stops the starter. If it does you'll have to trace back and see why you are getting power on the switch wire with the starter switch not engaged....

storeman

#1. The solenoid he was referring to sits on top of the starter and is connected to it. I think the one you were looking at is above the injection pump.

#2. No need to remove the starter. Your problem is electrical, not mechanical. There are 2 identical relays in the control panel box. They are positioned one above the other in the approximate center of the control box. One activates the preheat and glow plugs, the other the starter. Too darned cold or I'd go out and get their ID info. I believe the bottom one is the starter relay. It may be bad. On a good one (so long as your dc breaker is on) you can short between the two larger leads and crank the starter regardless of switch position. Same goes for the other activating the heating circuit.

If your solenoid was bad, I don't think it would engage the starter. The starter itself is obviously not the problem, its just doing what it is told to do.....crank.

The identical relays may be blue or black bakelite with about 6 wires coming off them. I have several if you need one, but there and the switch is where you should start, IMHO.

Jerry :grd:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks