• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003a teardown and refurb

johnray13

ahhh ha!! i found it... i pulled the valve cover, #1 cyl ex valve spring and dropped the valve down. set up the dial indicator and cranked the engine around until i found tdc.
Jim,
Which cylinder is #1, the flywheel end or blower end?
Figure 7-5 shows #1 on the flywheel end and pages 7-38 and 7-40 say #1 is on the blower end (TM 5-6115-585-34)

John

Jimc

they are calling the #1 the blower end. atleast thats what it shows on all the diagrams i have seen for setting valve clearances and the flywheel pointer

Jimc

i looked at the diagrams you listed. now you got me second guessing myself. lol

you know i dont think it matters. i believe 1 and 4 fire at the same time and 2 and 3 do the same. tomorrow night i will double check. i know the 1 and 4 pistons and 2 and 3 pistons follow each other but i will check the valve positions to be sure they are both on the same stroke.

Last edited:

johnray13

The parts manual pages 134-135 identifies the fuel lines to the corresponding cylinder. #1 is closest to the fan. That means Figure 7-5 is depicted wrong.

I hope there aren't too many more errors like this in the manual.

John

Triple Jim

I have a feeling there are plenty. I was looking at the 004A manuals today and found a bunch. The worst was a schematic that had transistors with unconnected leads.

Jimc

SHE LIVES!!! i got my injector pump parts in the mail today from gimpyrobb. i was really lucky he had the broken pieces. i sat down at the table tonight and put the pump all back together. everything went smoothly with that. got the pump mounted on the engine and gears all meshed right. once installed and i everything was put back together i left put #1 fuel line on the pump facing down, turned on the fuel pump and flow timed the pump (method 2). i was crossing my fingers. now that my flywheel pointer is set dead on 128deg before tdc i was really curious how close this injection pump was going to be timed and i have to say it could not get any more on the money. the fuel shut off coming out of the pump dead on the pc mark on the flywheel. cant get anymore perfect. put the #1 line back on and gave it a go. took a little bit to get all the air out of the injectors and fired up. once it got goin it smoked a little bit just from being cold i guess and all the oil burning off from assembly. once it heated up and settled in it ran absolutely perfect and smooth. well smooth for a 30 year old diesel anyway. the frequency gauge kinda sux. i know you guys say they are no too accurate but mine moves all over...slowly. no variation in engine rpm and the hz on the gauge slowly goes down to 57 they creeps up to 62. i found if it goes over the 62 mark the needle just kinda falls over to 65 max and stays there unless i lower the rpms enough to bring it down then i raise the rpms back up until it averages at around 60. is this normal for this gauge or are they usually better than that? also another question, i know the crankcase need to be vented and this engine obviously does it through the dip stick tube but do you guys get alot of smoke out the tube? dip stick is in and it smokes enough for oil to collect on the cap and do about 1 drip per 3-5 min. normal?

john btw, i did everything off the #1 at the blower end. i even set up the dial indicator to set the fw pointer on the blower end even though the diagram shows it on the fw end. it all worked just fine. the pc mark landed where it should going off that cyl so for future ref consider #1 blower end for sure.

storeman

Jim,
There shouldn't be any oil coming from the dip stick check tube. You are getting back pressure from somewhere. A smarter person should chime in soon.
Jerry

Jimc

Jerry do you get anything from the dipstick tube? Smoke? I would think excess would be from some blowby but cyl walls looked pretty good.

Triple Jim

Jim, the behavior of your frequency meter sounds like the way mine behaves when it's way below speed. It's all over the place, and then when I get close to 1800, it does what it's supposed to.

No smoke from my dipstick tube.

Jimc

Het also what is your guys oil psi at? Somewhere in the book i thought it said normal was 25psi. Mine is a solid 45 when warm

Triple Jim

I don't remember if you already did this, but it sounds like a compression test might be in order.

My oil pressure is about at the top of the gauge when cold and drops to around 30-35 when hot, but that depends a lot on just what oil you're using and how long it's been in there. Oil pressure won't have anything to do with blow-by though.

Last edited:

Jimc

Yeah as soon as it warms up a bit here i am gonna pull this outside and look into it a bit more. It wasnt top on my list last night. Just something i noticed. I did look at the dipstick and the previous owner must have put a new one on. The cap part was bent a bit so it wasnt sealing properly. I didnt notice it actually puffing last night like there was alot of back psi but ill look into it more and post back. Would suk if i had to rering it at this point but if i did i could prob do it in a long day now that i have had every nut bolt and washer apart on this thing. What was it jerry said about knowing the machine when i was done lol

Jimc

Ok i think its just a false alarm. Once i fixed that cap and it seals now i got nothing. All is good. I did open it up while its running just to see and just a very slight puffing. Nothing abnormal and slight oil splattering around. I have it running now. Ill take a video and post it up later for you guys

massey

Great job you have done on this machine it looks awesome, I'm glad the blow-by is not an issue. I've got two -002a's I'm working on right now, one only holds 62psi out of 100psi on a differential comp. check on its #1 cylinder and the other has a stuck plunger in its injection pump, so these posts have been informative and encouraging.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks