• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003a teardown and refurb

Munchies

Thank you, gentlemen! I tapped on the lightly while doing a wiggle/twist and they came out in short order. One of the return fuel lines, the shorter one, has been damaged at some point and will need to be replaced. I'll contact Jerry and let him know they'll be on the way soon.
The returns are such a pain in the rear to keep from kinking and lining them back up.
If you need some of the copper washers and thermal washer give me a shout I buy them in quantity..

Thank you. I'd read someone else's posts on the topic before pulling the injectors and have ordered the necessary gaskets. I'll stop this week and pick up a coil of brake line and make up a replacement return to replace the rounded off fitting.

I'm interested to see how the generator runs after the injectors come back.

Gents, I just wanted to follow up with a thank you to all who've offered advice on my generator and the injectors on every thing from getting them tested/adjusted to removal tips. Jerry was fantastic to work with and provided great communication and excellent service on my injectors. I couldn't be happier. I've got them back now and finished replacing the fuel return line that was damaged during removal. I'm back up and running again!

Jerry reported both of my injectors were within 100 psi of where they should be popping. It reaffirmed my suspicion that someone went through this unit shortly before I picked it up at Fort Riley. This weekend I will get the covers back on the unit and prepare for getting it moved to where it will be operated.

Triple Jim

Right Jim. I'm positive that Ike's group 24s will work fine in the coldest of weather. That's what I have in my 003A, and in past decades I've put 24s to the test a few times in other applications.

Isaac-1

The nice thing about group 24's is you can use the factory hold down, you just turn the battery sideways and have to fabricate a couple of spacer blocks (I used wood), as the length of the group 24's is very close to the width of the original 6TL's and they are about half the price.

Ike

Thanks, guys. The generator made it home today and got new filters, fuel and the battery installed. It started right up but doesn't make power. It also isn't running quite fast enough so I will look into adjusting that as well. Several bolts were missing from the ASK that will need to be replaced. Starting pulling the ASK until it got dark so I can eventually pull injectors to get sent out for testing. Looks like this one is going to take some TLC

Can you guys please help me by point me in the right direction? I have searched "throttle" in the tech manuals but am not coming up with the procedure to adjust the throttle to bring up the RPMs. Even when the throttle knob os fully adjusted I am lacking enough speed to get it up to 60htz. What is it actually called in the manual? Thanks!

Found the wires to the convenience receptacles cut this AM. Will determine if its actually making power after I get it up and running at the proper speed.

steelypip

MEP-003A is a vernier throttle. You push in the button in the middle of the knob, and pull the knob out until the engine is close to the right speed. Then you let go of the button and turn the knob left (slower) or right (faster) to get exactly where you want.

Don't trust your panel Hz meter. Use something else of known accuracy.

Jerry received and finished up the injectors on my MEP-003 today. One was popping at 1,000, one at 1,100 and the other two at about 1,500. They've been squared away and will be back in my hands shortly. Thanks again to Jim for bring this to our attention and to Jerry for fast service!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks